More Info About Me

Saturday, September 20, 2008

One Precious Moment

When I arrived at my Grandmother's birthday party last Saturday, my Dad immediately told me he had something for me. He and my stepmother had come up earlier in the week for my Great Uncle Al's funeral. He was 92.

Dad pulled out a grocery bag and said, "Nancy sent this up for you and said you had to have it. I don't know why. I hope you do." Nancy is Uncle Al's daughter. And before my Dad got the words out of his mouth, I said, "Is it a little black and white dog?" I think he was stunned that I knew what was inside that bag. For him, it had no meaning. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone in the room was wondering what the heck it was and asking "WHY?" But for me it was a reminder of a sweet time long long ago. I was flooded with emotion and memories!

When I was a little girl, and still living in Ohio, we used to go visit Great Aunt Rachel and Uncle Al. He worked in a Napa Auto Store. One time, when I was probably 3 years old, we visited him at his store. He had this little dog for me to play with during the visit. I am pretty sure he let me take it to their house later that day. I also remember playing with it a few more times at their house. I don't know why, but I thought it was so neat.

Uncle Al remembered. And so did Nancy. In fact, I remember several times when I saw Uncle Al as an adult that he would ask, "Do you remember coming to our house and playing with that little dog from the auto parts store?" And I would assured him that I did. When her Dad died on Sept. 7th, Nancy found the dog and made sure that it was sent to me.

In the picture to the right, Aunt Rachel and Uncle Al are seated with my Grandparents behind them. Aunt Rachel and my Grandpa were siblings. My Grandma is the only one left here on Earth.

These four people enjoyed spending time together and with their extended families. They have passed on their deep love for family to those of us who are blessed to be part of it. They taught us that treasures are often not expensive meaningless things. They taught us that treasures are in the memories that we make with one another. They taught us love. And laughter. And savoring time with one another. They taught us that simple things can make a difference in someone's life. From them, we saw how to create and make long-lasting memories from the simple things.
And in one little grocery bag last Saturday afternoon, I could once again feel that familial love that makes up so many precious memories in my mind today. When I gaze at that little dog on my shelf, I know it will be a constant reminder of the love that binds our family together. And I hope it, along with so many other treasures from my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles, will serve as a tangible reminder that it is our job to pass along those life lessons to our Children and someday, our Grandchildren.
I don't know why Uncle Al and I shared this precious little toy together. I know it touched me deeply to receive it. And I promise to love it and care for it! :-)

Thank you, Uncle Al! And, thank you, Nancy for such a sweet gift! I will treasure it always!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory! Your little dog is cute :)

Sharon Bardwell said...

It's often the little things in life that matter! Thanks for reminding us of this simple truth.

kreed said...

How neat! Now just make sure your boys (or better yet a sentimental future daughter in law) know the story so they can pass the memories on!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

How wonderful is this!! See that is how I am with so many things here in my house..They have special meaning and really to no one else except me. I feel like i have been given these things to make sure they are passed down to my family!! I am so happy that he kept that little dog all of these years. I bet he always thought of you when he looked at it. How special this is...Susan

Sandy

Jen S. said...

That's wonderful! You're right, our most precious treasures are not expensive things.

Susan said...

Precious and special!!!
Susan

Kelly said...

Isnt' that so special? And for his daughter to remember and send it to you, what kindness indeed. You are blessed with a great family.

samurai said...

That's just plain cool...

Anonymous said...

What a special memory for you. I know you are so thankful to have that little dog!

Linda said...

What a wonderful surprise for you. I know you will continue to treasure this little dog.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, Susan, that is so sweet. I LOVED this post. And that little dog looks so loved-on, like the Velveteen Rabbit.

Melli said...

That is a LOVELY memory... and I'm betting that those people all remembered YOU as a 3 year old with your chubby little hands wrapped around that puppy - and I would imagine a please please please can I take him home? tossed in there! And I can imagine them giggling and saying to each other Susan is obsessed with that little dog! I wonder what it is about it? just as we wonder about some of the things Luz obsesses over! And I remember my own niece at that age - she ALWAYS had a Weeble in her hand - sometimes one in each hand! And we would laugh and enjoy how much she enjoyed those Weebles! She still remembers how much too -- and THAT is the important part. Some of us forget what those "special" toys were to us... but YOU didn't forget - and neither did your family! YAY!