Tonight I am having a flashback moment. I am sitting with my ds 4 (who is 6) on the couch while he watches a video of the old TV series "Lassie". His brother, son 3, is sprawled across the floor with his chin resting on the elbows. Suddenly I picture myself laying on the floor of my Grandparent's home on Sunday evenings with the rest of my cousins waiting to know that our favorite canine is OK. And we all chewed Teaberry gum that Grandpa gave us.
And memories flood my soul:
I remember trying to learn to blow a bubble with that gum.
I remember getting excited when Tinkerbell would fly across the screen and announce the start of another Wonderful World of Disney
I remember waiting for Lawrence Welk to end so we could watch "the good stuff"
I remember the porch
I remember lightning bugs
I remember picking dandelions and thinking they were roses
I remember watching lightning dance across the sky
I remember the swing
I remember the aluminum cups that kept water so cold
I remember endless hours playing and pretending surrounded by cousins, aunts and uncles that I loved dearly
And tonight I find myself hoping that my own children have memories that will take them on a similar journey someday.
Who knows? Maybe sons 3 and 4 will recall watching that "old fashioned video" with their Mom on a quiet Saturday night.
3 comments:
I LOVED The Wonderful World of Disney! And I TOTALLY remember watching Lawerence Welk w/ my grandma! lolol But......I *liked* it! :o)
I liked it too...and even saw a rerun of that the other night. I just remember that we were anxious for it to be over so we could watch "kid stuff".
I seem to remember that Hee Haw was part of that line up too;-) Sorry, Susan, I still don't remember the Teaberry gum, but I do have fond memories of the porch swing and family gatherings there in Mount Gilead. This has also given me a thought for my blog;-) !
Post a Comment