More Info About Me

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by SapphireJust watched the movie Precious based on the novel "Push" by African American Poet Sapphire.  Let me warn those of you who cannot watch things that are raw and potentially offensive.  This movie may not be fore you.   BUT I am BLOWN away by it.  Do not watch it with young children and understand it's filled with language.

The movie is a story about a 350 pound black girl from Harlem who is viciously abused by her Mother and raped by her Father.  At 16 years old, she's still in middle school and illiterate.  

I know it would be totally wrong to assume that this is the plight of every poor black girl...in fact, in a moving review and interview by the New York Times, director and producer Lee Daniels talks about this very issue.  In many ways it does speak to stereotypes.

More important in my opinion, though, is that it speaks to the human condition.  There are MANY kids out there experiencing horrific home lives.  They are abused, neglected, mistreated and live lives filled with violence and hate.  And so many people just turn their heads.  It's time to break the cycle.

I suppose another reason I resonated with this film is the schooling portion of it.  I love it that someone is teaching Precious her ABC's at 16 years of age!  And she's learning in a meaningful non-threatening way.

If you choose to watch it, I'd love to hear your feedback.  Very rarely after I watch a film do I want to watch it again...this one is definitely a "watch it again" movie for me! 




No comments: