I remember the lady being a bit sad about losing HER table. She told me about the dinners she and her family had held around it. She told me it had been used with her kids when they were younger and her grandkids. I promised her it was going to be used for many of the same purposes in our home. I told her what a blessing I knew it would be. I was right.
Here "she" is in the picture below (at the far end, closest to the window) ready for Thanksgiving last year. We had to add two "extensions" to her to fit everybody.

The second picture shows her doing what she does best, entertaining family and friends for special occasions. (Note: This is "her" looking towards the extension tables.)

Here she is below, all dressed up for our Christmas Open House last year. This has been an annual event in our house since DH and I started in the ministry. I have loved having her here for it because she extends to such a nice size to hold all the yummy food!!
Here she is at DS 3's birthday celebration this summer. She's not particularly dressed up...just providing us a great place to eat all the yummy food. DSs 2 and 4 are waiting for the "go ahead" to dive into their lobster feast.You might be wondering, then, "WHERE'S she going?" Well, we are a growing family. Not in numbers, but the boys are getting bigger and they need their space. DS 3, especially, has been shifted around in our house. He needs a place to call his own. We are closing this dining room "nook" in to make a bedroom/office space. It will have a wall and french doors to close it off. This will make it usable as an office or small dining room (should we ever sell) and usable now for DS 3's bedroom--something he desparately needs.
I have no room for her now. I realize that we really only use her on very special occasions because most of the time we eat at the dining area of our kitchen. It's sentimental, I guess. I love the fact that she extends to hold so many. I love the fact that she is solid wood with some very neat scrollwork on her sides. I'm a little sad. I know that sounds strange. I won't miss her in the way you miss people when they leave. I'll miss being able to "dress" her up for the holidays and special occasions, the joy of feeding so many people around her, and the memories she dredges up (in general). I NOW understand what was happening in the lady's mind as she watched her table be loaded into my FIL's van. Yes, I'll miss her!!
7 comments:
Susan, that makes me sad because I have a wood table that I had to wait for for some 35 years before I got it. I know that someday soon I am going to have to give her up and I am going to be really sad about it. I guess this makes me think that her time will be coming soon. I hope she goes to a good family like ours has been, someplace where a nice big family can crowd around her and have great meals with great talk and lots of food. Great post... Sandy
Oh my goodness! I don't believe I have EVER seen a table that size! That is phenomenal! I would be really, really sad to be giving that up too... We would never have room for anything like it in our house -- and we have fairly large rooms! Oh what memories you have MADE around that table! Well, thank goodness you have the great pictures of her! I hope another big family gets her and enjoys her as much as y'all have!
S..Do you have a home for her yet? I still would like to have her here, but need to figure out how to do that. Keep me in mind before she "walks" out the door and if she already has...oh well. We have enjoyed some wonderful meals thanks to her.
LY...C
Awwww....what sweet memories though! I just got back from seeing my momma and seeing the same kind of spread on her table. Come on over and meet my momma!
That is a little sad. The art of hospitality is in a decline it seems. but what wonderful memories. This nice little table had wonderful memories from the little old lady, and now with your family.
May it go on and on. :) \o/
aawweee....now I feel like *I'm* gonna miss her! lol
I think I am having separation anxiety!
I really like that table.
Post a Comment