More Info About Me

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It's MY TV, And I'll Cry if I Want To!

I very rarely watch TV. Last night, DS 3 and I sat down to watch Deal or No Deal. I think it's fun to watch the dynamics on that show. Last night, a lady was on with her husband, her family and her two daughters. When Howie Mandel asked her what she would do with the money, she said she wanted to take her kids to England (or bring her in-laws over) because they hadn't seen their grandparents. The youngest one, at 18 months, had never seen her grandparents.

The lady didn't do so well. Howie stopped at one point and told her that the show wasn't heartless, so they had the in-laws on via satellite. All of the sudden, it looked like they lost connection...and the in-laws walked out from behind the curtain.

I know the writing was on the wall for this to happen, but I just love this kind of thing. My eyes welled up with tears and DS 3 had a GREAT laugh at my expense.

THEN, we watched Wife Swap. No matter what you think about this show, I am always amazed at the potential transformation by just getting people out of their "norm" for a couple of weeks.

Last night, the changes were powerful. A Dad realized that he was ignoring his son to play 5 hours of video games every night. A Mom realized that she needed to relax and enjoy her family more. An entire family learned that winning didn't have to be the expectation of every event. Each family experienced a transformation. One husband said he agreed to do the show to save his marriage as it was headed down a road to disaster. The reconciliation of this couple was a neat thing. At the end, he asked her to marry him again.

Well...bring on the tissues! I love that stuff, too!!!

Or, maybe I'm just a sap! Whatever, as I told DS 3, I am entitled to cry if I want to! Besides, they were tears of happiness and joy for the human spirit. I think I'm going back to reading tonight!! ;-)

4 comments:

Trinity13 said...

I'm always crying over the Extreme Homemaker shows...every week!

Mary Jo said...

I hear ya girl - you cry all you want! Those touching moments on tv are nice for a change from the normal murder, drama, sex-filled stuff we have to guard against!

Anonymous said...

Well Sus...tell J that his Grandma tears up at Publix commercials or certain songs on the radio! I'm sure he would laugh at that too. But there are just certain things in life that touch our hearts and I know he too will understand and "tear up" one day too!
LY...C

Greg and Christie said...

You can also let him know that his "tough" uncle has his moments as well. I think kids made it worse for me, but it's always been there. I have to fight them back every Friday when I hear the GHS fight song fire up and see the kids running through the band.