More Info About Me

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I Know Why....

Recently my Dad was talking to me about blogging. He reads my blog, my brother Greg's Blog, and my brother Dan's Blog on a regular basis. As we were talking about how neat it is to be able to keep up with family, Dad commented, "I just don't know how or why you'd read someone else's blog." I tried to explain a little, but didn't really go much further with my personal "why".

Actually, that's kind of percolated in my mind now for a few weeks. WHY do I read other blogs? Is it because I am nosey? Maybe. :-) I tend to visit blogs of people with whom I have something in common. Sometimes I find one that someone has in their favorites and I go check it out. The only reason I return is because I enjoy the writing, find the person interesting, or maybe feel connected to them in some way.

Some of you know that I am planning a trip in October to Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. I am planning to meet up with two "blogging friends" who visit me (and I visit them) regularly, Sandy and Mary. Now some of you might be surprised that I would meet up with "total strangers". But they're not total strangers. I have been reading and commenting on their blogs for months. (Plus that, my other "blogging friend" Lazy Daisy says she knows Sandy personally and assures me she's no axe murderer! ;-) )

I can still hear my Dad wondering why you'd read someone else's blog. Maybe it's a "girl thing". I don't know that I can sum up the answer briefly, because it's complex to me.

This morning, though, I received the sweetest email from my blogging friend, Mary. She entered the contest below and asked another "blogging friend" and GREAT Blog designer, Susie to give me her five chances for winning a new blog design. See Mary just updated hers. Now, THAT is not the kind of thing that strangers (or axe murderers) do. It's the kind of things FRIENDS do.

So, why do I read other people's blogs? I guess the best way to sum it up is because I believe the old adage is true: "A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet."

I'm glad I've "met" so many new friends...even if it's via mouse and keyboard!!! Happy Blogging!!

2 comments:

samurai said...

I am glad to have "met" you through blogging too. Even though you are a Buccaneers fan. ;)

Thank you for the encouragement over the past few months.

Mary Jo said...

Awwwww . . . you like me - you really like me! hehe

I'm not an axe murderer - I PROMISE! ;o)

Can't wait to meet you - it'll be FUN!