More Info About Me

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Lessons from the Gridiron

I love football. My family (my boys, DS 2's GF, my brothers, my SIL, and the grandparents) all play fantasy football. We are on our third or fourth season playing on yahoo. It's great fun.

I am a Sunday afternoon couch coach...and crazed fan (although I think I've settled down a bit over the past couple of years).
I enjoy watching all of it...high school, college and NFL.

Over the past six weeks, I've watched a whole different spin on football....football movies. I've been to three total.

First, we saw Invincible the story of Vince Papale who walked onto the Philadelphia Eagles football team in the 1970's.

Next, we saw Gridiron Gang a movie that shows what happens when juveniles are given a second chance on the football field. This is based on a true story.

Last night, we went to see Facing the Giants a faith-based movie that tells a modern-day David and Goliath story about the re-vamping of a high-school football team.

All of these films, while vastly different, have one key theme: detemination, perseverance, and passion does pay off. It may not be with a win on a scoreboard, but it's a deeper win. It's a great message.

So, today as I sit watching real college football...and tomorrow when I watch NFL football...I want to remember that the determination with which players face the game of football is no less determination than any one of us ought to face the real "game of life". We may not always post a "win"...here...but in the long-run we ARE winners!

3 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I love football too! We want to see those movies as well. . . .I love those lessons you can learn from sports.

I'm sitting here right now watching Iowa and OSU play - just finished watching Florida beat Alabama. . . .

I love this time of year!

Lazy Daisy said...

Haven't seen any of the movies but they all sound good. Good application though!

kt said...

HEY! Your 'tip' worked! lol

gridiron gang---our shcool played against them in highschool.

can't wait to see invinceable.
No new movies for me lately. DH is a fantasy football regualr member/player. Every season they have a brbq for thier 'draft day'. I think it's funny.