More Info About Me

Monday, September 11, 2006

I Do Remember....


I do remember exactly what I was doing the day the world changed. I remember hugging my kids a little harder. Talking to my husband. Crying. I remember wishing I could run away...move somewhere where this type of thing doesn't happen. Yes, I remember.

I watched the news. I read the newspaper. But I wasn't totally fixated on the event. I think I tried to "put it out of my mind" rather quickly. I know that may have been wrong. It was simply my way of "dealing".

Here I am five years later. I have watched documentaries. I have read tributes all over blogdom. I think, in an odd sort of way, the human element has finally hit me. As I read and/or hear each account, I realize that these were people with stories. Sure I knew it five years ago. But today I know it deeper.

I have hugged my kids a little tighter this week. I have talked to my husband a bit about it. I have cried. I don't want to run away anymore, but I DO find myself longing for a simpler less complex life. A place that feels safe and comfortable. A place where love abounds and hatred simply isn't. I'm sure there is no Earthly place like that.

While on that day the world changed in some pretty negative ways. I think it also changed for good. There was so much heroism and compassion shown. The human spirit was alive and well. It's not 15 hijackers that are getting the most airplay. Nope, it's the great deeds of men and women of all ages, sizes, colors, and faith backgrounds.
I am proud to be an American. I am proud to be a Christian in America. I pray that we will all find ways to reach out and show compassion and love in a big way when given the opportunity. Personally, I believe this is the only thing that will ever change the world for good. And quite honestly, it may have happened on a grander scale on 9-11-01 than ever before or since in the 40+ years I've been alive. It's there I want to put my focus and my energy.

Yes, I remember!

God Bless America!!

2 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great post straight from your heart, Susan!! It has changed our country. Like the president said tonight. It was meant to take us to our knees and it did but not in the way they wanted it to but it took us to our knees in prayer!! The terrorists did not think about that!! We beat them in that respect!! Also I think we beat them by not being scared..that is what they wanted!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart. As I age, I find that memories of such events sometimes start to get cloudy. But that one is still very fresh and vivid.

Blessings to you.