More Info About Me

Monday, February 20, 2006

Y-Phobia

It's a little known fact (and one I guess I won't save for my next "100" list)...but I have workout phobia and more particular "Y-Phobia". It's not because I am afraid of sweating...I am not afraid to try the machines....I just hate it when you go to the gym and there are all these cute little things working out and I feel like uh...not-a-cute-little-thing. I also don't like doing it alone. I much prefer having a workout buddy.

Four years ago I was walking 2 miles everyday at 5:45 am with a "Walking Buddy". We did this for a little over a year...and BOY did it pay off. Then my walking buddy moved. I tried to walk alone. I just can't. Or I won't. Especially at that time in the morning.

Then I got a "workout buddy" at my school. We joined a Women's Gym together and we were working out about 4 days a week together. We were doing treadmill, weights, and other cardio stuff...then the gym membership ran out for her and I decided not to join since I had to drive about 20 minutes to get there. I just couldn't be committed to that...and face the possibility of working out alone again.

Then I got a new walking buddy...and we met at a local strip mall at 5:00am to walk...YES you read that right. I loved walking with her...but I am NOT a morning person by any stretch of the imagination and rather than feeling better since I was working out...I felt horrible!!!!! I had to "drop out".

Last year, we got a membership to the YMCA. My older boys go all the time...and they have told me off and on they would "take me down there." I have stayed quiet and maintained a low profile about it because of my "Y-Phobia".

I have known, though, that it's time to put all that "junk" aside and start doing something for "ME"....and my health is important...so today I took the first step to overcoming my "Y-Phobia".

DS 3 and I went down there on Saturday to kind of "scope it out". Not too bad. I saw where everything was and decided I could walk on a treadmill in a corner somewhere. Plus that, since we live in a HUGE retirement area, there were quite a few older people there that would put me and my agility to shame!

DS 1 said today...."I'll take you down there, Mom and show you around." As I began to fess up about my "Y-phobia" on the way to the gym...He said, "Now THAT'S the FIRST thing you need to get over! You CAN'T worry about what everyone else is doing." And he's right. He showed me around. He coaxed me on to the machine...he took son 4 to play basketball and left me on the treadmill. It felt GREAT....It was wonderful to be breaking a sweat once again...even though I was alone (sort of).

I am so thankful that ds 1 was there. It was just nice knowing that if I needed a little encouragement, I could get it.

I almost can't wait to go back.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You GO girl!

I'm just trying to find a gym with NICE childcare that will put up with M's "high maintaince" personality!

kt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kt said...

WOOHOO! You Go girl! Walk, walk, walk!

Lynn said...

I feel your phobia;-) Actually I just miss having someone to go with....I stopped going to curves in November because I no longer had anyone to go with, but also because it took about an hour and a half out of my day. I am trying the Leslie Sansone walking dvds and enjoy walking to the beat here at home. Good luck at the Y, it's great that the boys support you.

Susan said...

GO Mary, go Mary, go Mary.

Lynn: I wish we lived closer. We could be Y buddies. I LOVE that Leslie Sansone dvd though...I have it. My only problem is there wasn't a time when someone wasn't staring at me doing it. ;-)

Susan said...

Getting over the "fear" is half the battle...as ds said, "you just have to put that behind you and press on". I'll be praying for you!!