I am so excited about the weekend. We have Monday off for President's Day. I need it. For some reason, I have been exhausted this week. It couldn't be that we sometimes burn the candle at both ends and in the middle at our house!?!?!
I am ready though.
Dh is doing a funeral service for a member of our church who died last week. This man was a retired military colonel with more decorations and awards than most people EVER get. In addition to that though, he was a fine Christian man. Even as an older man, he loved the youth and young children at the church. His dear wife has stood by him over this long illness. In a matter of months (it seemed) she watched her husband go from being a vibrant, energetic man, to one that lost a lot of weight, had to do dialysis, and just faded out rather slowly.
He knew he was going to die. And yet, he kept pressing on. He told the doctors several months ago that he "couldn't die yet" because he had an appointment that he had to make. And he didn't.
In December, the church threw a surprise "Celebration of Life" event...and he was so touched by it.
It wasn't long after that when he ended up taking himself off of dialysis. He knew that it would only be a matter of time once he did this. I think he was at peace. I think he was ready to get the final award and enter into Glory.
What a powerful testimony to a life well-lived. Go rest high on that mountain, Colonel...you deserve it.
No comments:
Post a Comment