More Info About Me

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

It's NOT Funny!!

Have you ever been around someone who tries to be humorous or funny only by putting other people down? I can't stand that. I know a guy that does this everytime he is around me. Recently it has escalated. He will start jabbing at me about things and saying that "It's all your fault that so and so said....." OR "Susan did it...she is the reason we have to do ......" OR "That lady over there said that Susan was the cause of ......" He always says these things with a smile like he is trying to be funny and humorous. I honestly think he thinks he is being funny....but he is not. It's not just me that he does it to...but it seems like recently it has been me on a daily basis. And often it is an incident that I know NOTHING about!

Today I asked a colleague what he thought the reasoning was....and neither of us could totally figure it out. We could only speculate. But, he has noticed the same thing. We decided that sometimes people use humor to take jabs at other people when they are insecure about themselves. They act like they are being funny...but there is an element of truth in their statements that can be hurtful. They are trying to elevate their own status or be "in on" something that they are not. That certainly could be the case here.

As I really think about it....I may have been guilty of doing that too in my past. I may have taken a "jab" and used humor at someone else's expense. It's not right.

I am praying that the next time it happens that I have the strength and the courage to say the right words. I don't want to be mean...but I'd like this person to be able to reflect and perhaps understand the way these things are being perceived. It may help and it may not. I know for certain that until I say something and confront it, there can be no change. I pray that the words I say are filled with grace, but are also clear enough. Who knows? Maybe someone else will be spared this treatment.

No comments: