More Info About Me

Friday, August 25, 2006

The Never-Ending "To-Do" List

I never was a list person. I make them, and I lose them. I have been known to make a list to take to the grocery store...get there and leave it in my car. It's just not my thing.

I am starting to realize though, that I DO have a "TO-DO" list. It's just not on a paper, a PDA, or a white-board. It just sits there and festers in the back of my mind while I tick off items that I finish. It's how I operate. Lately, I am not liking this, though.

You see my "list" is keeping me from doing things I WANT to do as well as some things I NEED to do. And when I don't finish something on my list (at least something I think has high priority), then I tend to beat myself up over it. You may know the tapes that play in my head over unfinished tasks: "I should have..." "I could have..." "I messed up..." and so on...and so on...and so on.

This IS NOT HEALTHY!!! It's wrong! Generally things that don't get done aren't life-changing. They're not critical. But I know they are a reflection of me. It's hard to let others see those types of imperfections, isn't it? We so long to be seen as "WOW-she's-(or he's)-got-it-all-together-girls-(or guys)" don't we??

I was so upset (believe it or not) because I couldn't even get a minute yesterday to do my Thursday Thirteen (OK I started it and lost it mid-way) because of other things on my list. (OK, I know blogging is NOT the top priority on my list...but it's a release for me.) Lately, I have been going full steam ahead from sun-up to well into the night. I'd say I've been burning candles at both ends and the middle.

Those of you who know me, know this is nothing new for me. It happens. So, what am I going to do about it? I don't know. I'm going to prioritize. Empty the plate some. Delegate. And try to relax.

And hopefully, I'll be back to normal blogging next week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one was glad to see you were getting back to "normal" (whatever that is!!) with your blogging. I do miss it when it's not up to date! As for those lists, I think you'll find that the more birthdays you have...the more you will find the need to do them!! :-)
LY...C

Lynn said...

Okay, what is normal blogging? Obviously I'm not there yet and I really shouldn't have taken the time to do a TT yesterday, as I left other things undone;-) I did however, agree to taking the teacher's aide position. I'm not really sure that it will add that much to our income.....after gas expense and latchkey. It is 23 miles from our home on back country roads...which are pretty right now but not so pretty in the winter...we'll see. I did feel good, though, about agreeing to do it.

p.s. I make lists all of the time, and typcially leave them right where I wrote them.....really doesn't do very well for me when I go shopping!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I have always been a list maker. I have a grocery list on my frig. When I run out of something in the kitchen it goes right up on that list. Then that list goes with me to the store. I make lists while I sat and do my hair in the mornings and then that list goes in my purse. I guess I really do use them a lot. I do not think I could live without them.
Sometimes I get behind in blogging and I hate to do that but with you working all of the time and having a family I wonder how you do all that you do. Man, I would never get it all done...

kt said...

well, since YOU admitted it...I guess I can too...I've left my grocery 'list' in the car too! {rolling eyes} I make it easy on myself....I just buy the SAME things/foods every time...then no need for a list...lol