More Info About Me

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I've been thinking...

For those of you who have been around here a while, you know that I don't like to fly. I know that it's a control issue with me. I do it when I HAVE to...but not always without a little (OK a lot) angst.

When tragedies happen like we saw in Kentucky this weekend, I again remind myself just WHY I don't like to fly. I know. I know. I know. Flying is one of the safest ways to travel. Millions of people fly everyday without incident.

I have been drawn to this story. Maybe because it happened in a place that I love. Maybe because I am sick. Who knows??? Anyway, today I read more of the Lexington news coverage. The newspaper has profiles of most of the victims. I read each and every one.

It's heartbreaking to think about the family that was celebrating the marriage of a young couple on Saturday and now are planning their funerals. They weren't the only young couple on that plane. There was a couple that was heading to their wedding. There was a young couple that were headed out to another adventure as they sought to see the U.S.

There were people heading to cruises, dream vacations, anniversary celebrations, and business trips among the 49. Each one had a story.

As I read today, something struck me. It wasn't that "You'll-never-catch-ME-on-a-plane-again." thought that I sometimes get. It was, instead, the realization that these were people who were living life to the fullest. They were enjoying the world and each other. They were Mothers, Fathers, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents. Over and over again reporters wrote of lives lived with passion.

I was sad, yes. I was also reminded that NO ONE knows the day or the hour that we will be called home. I don't think God "did this"...as I have heard this week. I hate it when people say, "When God's ready for you, you're going, no matter what." I can't buy that. I can't picture God up there with a big "stick" saying, "OK, it's time for this plane to get on the wrong runway because I'm ready for these 49 people to come home." Nope. Not the God that I serve. He's too loving for that. He knew it was going to happen, yes. I don't think for a minute that HE caused it.

Instead, I think it was a horrible situation that is the result of several negative things coming together all at once. I DO believe that God was there. He IS there. He is the one that offers peace and comfort to those left behind. He was there to welcome His servants home...perhaps to say, "Well done good and faithful servant. I'm so proud of the way you lived your life with passion."

I realized something about my life here...I don't want to be gripped by fear....but gripped by grace. I don't want to be anxious...but passionate. I don't want to settle for mediocrity...but excellence. I know each of these people made a difference in the lives of those they knew. What more could any of us want?

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Great post Susan!

Dan said...

I see we are both feeling very connected to this. I attributed it to the same reasons that you did. I love that area and of course I have flown in and out of that airport MANY times. I will be there again in October as well. I think also the fact that I have a lot of friends in that area also made me feel closer to it. It is incredible to read all the stories. I have pretty much read them all myself. Great Post. Goodnight!

Karla said...

I have a hard time dealing with anything like this, no matter the place or whatever. Human life is so sacred (as we know) and it just really affects me when something like this happens. Heart-wrenching. :(
A very moving post.

On a more upbeat note: thanks for stopping by and checking out that "treadmill video" one more time. :) I watched a little "blip" about the making of that on Inside Edition last night (which I don't normally watch, but they advertised that & I just had to see it). Apparently, the band is doing it LIVE at the MTV awards (which I wouldn't normally watch, but just might have to in order to catch that live)! ;)

samurai said...

I know for me... I want to live each day to the fullest... plan for tomorrow... and prepare to kneel and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...

And share it with my family...