MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC!
Some of you may remember this song as a blast from your past. It came to mind this afternoon, and here's why:
If you've read my blog for any length of time, then you know that my two older boys are musicians. They played in a neighborhood band for a while and now both play in the youth worship bands at church. DS 1 plays bass guitar and occasionally acoustic guitar. He is also teaching and training the Middle School youth band at chuch.
Both DSs 1 and 2 play in another worship band for our Middle School youth. DS 2 plays drums.
DS 1 has also shown a desire to get into recording and writing music and chose to get a recording studio so he could do this at home.
Last weekend, in a conversation with another youth at church, DS 3 decided he'd take bass lessons with his older brother so he could play in the middle school band as well.
He and DH researched a simple "learner" bass and ordered it Sunday night.
The son I haven't mentioned yet, DS 4, also LOVES to strum his Father's guitars and actually shows some promise to jumping in line with the rest of the males in our family. He is picking up chords and really has great strumming patterns sometimes. He even sang a song that he "wrote" for DS 1 the other night, and DS 1 said, "WOW! I might need to record that!" And he wasn't kidding. DH ordered DS 4 a smaller guitar for him to practice and learn the instrument.
Thursday and Friday, the new bass, the recording studio, and the guitar arrived. Suffice it to say that my living room looks like a tornado hit it (again)! But, I'm not sorry.
DH, DS 3 and DS 4 have been in the living room for the last hour working on music.
I always dreamed of living in a home where music was important. Ours didn't really start out that way, but has sort of snowballed into one. I'm glad. It gives them a purpose, a focus, and an "outlet". All of them want to play in one of the church worship bands and that is a blessing beyond what I ever dreamed.
So, tonight, as I step over bubble wrap remnants (hey, if I pop it in rhythm, do you think they'll let me join in?), and cardboard boxes...and as I listen to the sound of music fill my home...I'll smile and whisper a prayer of "Thanks" for an answer to a simple prayer!
6 comments:
Cool..this keep all of your Darling sons at home too...have you thought about that. You know where they all are and what they all are doing!! That is a BIG plus as far as I am concerned. With this crazy world that is an even bigger PLUS!!
I simply LOVE music..almost any kind..I draw the line at hip hop and hard rock but I do love music!! You are so fortunate!! WOW!!
You didn't mention anything about your "earplugs" coming along with the instruments! :-) Sounds like lots of fun...someday, when it all blends together. I can see DH now making plans as manager for a whole new era of Sound of Music!
Never a dull moment in your household!
Ly...C
Oh wow, how wonderful is that! I play the CD player....does that count? Sounds like you've got some pretty special guys and if they are anything like my boy....they adore their mom. (I like that perk!) Hoping for years of beautiful chords being struck at your home.
DS was very impressed that your DS3 got a bass guitar. My DS is saving up to buy one himself. DD2 bought a "Barbie" accoustic guitar with her birthday money. Maybe I shouldn't have give mine to my dad! It has been fun to watch DH give DD2 some tips on playing. I would like to start her on piano this fall. You would probably enjoy hearing DD1 practicing her flute. She is doing very well. It does get interesting when DS is practicing his trombone at the same time. I feel like I'm on the set of Fame;-)
Wonderful! We love music at this house as well, and it really is fun to see the kids pick up on some of your own interests. Make sure you let us know when that recording comes out!
~A
As the wife of an extremely talented musician, I thank you. My husband was not given that much encouragement at home, and I can't think how far he would have gone with some support from his parents. As it is, his father seems to feel some competition with him. (That is kinda funny, because my FIL may be talented, but I would put Jon's talent in the category of GIFT, rather than mere talent.)
Anyway, I love that you are encouraging your boys. Jon's goal is not to be a grammy-winning rock star, but to earn his living in the music industry, and it can be done. Yay!
Post a Comment