DH quite frequently talks about traffic (and our behavior in it) in church. He reminds people that when we are driving on the interstate and people are flying past us and driving unsafe, it's not really right to wish they "get stopped by a cop" or think unkind thoughts about them. He reminds us that there may be a reason the person is driving in this manner. We should, instead, stop and pray they don't get hurt, they don't hurt anyone else in their hurry, and that nothing is wrong.
OK, I'll admit I don't quite have this one under my belt. There are times I grit my teeth and hope the cops are just ahead with their radar guns out. I have learned to go the speed limit. I have learned to be a bit more patient in most road situations, but crazy drivers make me....well....CRAZY! I especially get bugged when they are driving too slow! I mean if the speed limit is 70, you should NOT be doing the "minimum 45" that is printed on the highway signs.
Last night, I realized that DH is right, there may be a reason that someone is driving the way they are. While visiting our extended family yesterday for birthday celebrations, we found that my tire had a nail in it and was flat. My Dad inflated it, but it was down again before we went home. So, they changed the tire and put the donut tire on it. You aren't supposed to travel over 50 with those things on.
For the entire 60 mile ride home, I drove 50 (in the right lane). Cars and trucks would speed up on my bumper like they thought I needed a push! I would watch them hurry over to the lane beside me just before they hit us. I could only imagine what some might have been saying in their cars.
I realized that the next time I get cranky about someone going too slow, that there may, in fact, be a perfectly good reason for it. There I was, with four kids in my car....thinking mostly about making sure we safely arrived home....and not really worried about being at the top speed allowed on the road.
And here I thought (at my age) that I had the driving thing down!!!
3 comments:
Yeap I am on your side, Susan. I have all of the same feelings that you have. I have tried several times to think...they have a problem. They are in a hurry because someone is sick, someone is having a baby and they need to get to the hospital or I should pray for them. Also the ones that are really really slow...they must have some other problems.
My thing sometimes is trying to beat someone..Yes I know I am 61 but I am not inside!! I had a deal with a semi the other day and he set me up!! I finally thought to myself..Sandy, you are silly..that is a semi!! I had to talk myself out of this silly thing that I wanted to do like chase the semi...can you believe it!! Funny what happens when you get in a car!! More prayer is needed!!!
Glad you guys made it home safe and sound. Know it must have been a difficult trip. Guess your lesson is a good one for me too. You know I'm always "pushing the envelop" too. Unlike "Flip-Flop", I probably would have chased that semi:-) But, only if it's me alone in the car. Being responsible for others does tend to slow you down!! Sure takes the fun out of that person inside of me though!
Ly...C
I've often thought that I drive like Grandma and Dad....need I say more;-) I've found myself thinking a bit more about why other drivers drive the way they do and try to be more patient. Sometime my problem is paying attention....I get too wrapped up in my thoughts or scenery...I had a close call not too long ago while driving with DS that has made me play closer attention to both my speed and other drivers around me.
Post a Comment