More Info About Me

Friday, August 18, 2006

Art Appreciation

I must preface what I am about to write with some information about me. I dropped out of Great Works of Art in college twice! I couldn't memorize all those paintings and quite frankly, I didn't WANT to interpret what some painter might have been thinking when he (or she) created his or her piece.

Tonight, we have been discussing something to do. I suggested the dollar movie. DH wasn't too thrilled with the offerings. Then, he went to get a phone call (where he still is).

So DS 4 (7 yr. old) came in my room while I looked on the Internet to see what is going on in our town tonight. We live in an Arts Community, so there are often free concerts on the weekends. I found something called an art walk downtown. (Honestly, it's not the art that is tempting me, it's the free live jazz music that will be playing down there as people stroll the art work.

Now, I may have dropped out of Great Works of Art, but I do, occasionally like looking at artwork. I realize the hard work and creativity that goes into each piece whether it's something I would choose to own or not.

So, I showed DS 4 the link to the event and he said, "We could buy The Scream." He made this funny face with his mouth open wide and his hands on his cheeks as he said this.

I said, "What's the scream?" He tells me, "It's a famous painting, Mom. I like it and I'd like to buy it."

So, I googled it and here's what I found:

This is a painting by Edvard Munsch in 1893 in Norway. It's listed under a site about "Anxiety Paintings".

As I dug a bit more to find out just WHY my 7 year old knows about an Anxiety Painting, he tells me they learned about it in school when they were learning to show emotion in their artwork.

OK, so maybe I didn't do so well in Great Works of Art....I suspect HE MIGHT! I think I'm off to an art walk....

4 comments:

Ginger said...

How funny! I've long been intrigued by The Scream...in a horrified sort of way. But that's so cool that your kid's getting art appreciation in school. I bet his teacher made all the kids make "the face." What fun!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Susan, are you telling us that you 7 year old knows more about art than you do.."smile"...well I do not know much either but I do know about the SCREAM only because it is so grouse and scary. I like horror movies..crazy me and it reminds me of those crazy movies.
You just have to love ART I guess to really like it. Maybe you will learn something tonight...

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

That painting was stolen back in 2004 from the museum where it was housed and I don't believe it has ever been recovered. What a shame!

I know I've sometimes felt like he looks ;~)

Lynn said...

I remember that painting from my art appreciation class in college but I couldn't remember the artist;-) However, I did enjoy the class but it also covered music and dance. My kids would probably enjoy the painting, and I could see each one of them making the face! Hope the walk was fun.