I have been reading a lot lately. I have shared a couple of the books that I have read here on my blog...
My latest book (which I just started) is by Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah. It is titled "Three Weeks With My Brother" and recounts a journey the two brothers made around the world in recent years. Nicholas starts out by sharing glimpses of their childhood entwined with their preparations for this three week trip. By page 30, he notes "Everything about the trip felt wrong,"
He continues to explain how he thinks of life in terms of a stream, rapids, and waterfall. He talks about those times when we simply "float along" and "one day just floats into another." He continues to describe the rapids where things get more challenging...deadlines, life events, work events...you struggle to stay afloat. He concludes that you ride the rapids with the thoughts of you "have to", "need to", and "have no other choice". You go, go, go. And in the distance you hear the roar of the waterfall.....if you don't steer to safety, the waterfall will "get you".
Sparks says this is an example of life out of balance.
Ouch! I read it on the treadmill...but I could definitely hear the pressure of Sparks stepping on my toes!
At school, I teach my kids that good readers "make personal connections" to what they read. Streams...yep...been there. I remember well those times when the ebb and flow of my life seemed to just gently roll along. The rapids...yep...I've found myself deep in them with really no clear way out. And that waterfall....hearing it in the distance is sometimes scary.
Thankfully, this year, God has been showing me how to navigate the waters. He is the man who can calm the stormy sea. I just have to remember that HE is the captain of MY ship!!
Personal connection? It sure is. I know exactly how Sparks feels...I just wonder if HIS toes also feel the same way?
3 comments:
I love your new layout! It's funny but when I saw the ABC, I immediately thought of Grandpa;-)
Sorry to delete....I didn't mean to use first names;-) It is a great book. It reminds me of DH and his good friend....always ready for an adventure. I would like to get it for DH on tape.
Post a Comment