More Info About Me

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Pulling Up Weeds

I have spent the past three hours pulling up weeds and pruning my plants. Now this is NOT my favorite job...but I LOVE it when my plants look pretty and the beds are weedless...or pretty close to it.

I dealt with some very stubborn weeds today. You know, the kind where you pull and THINK you have the root, but they just break off before the root comes up? In fact, as I sat digging to find the main roots, I thought, "I think I tried to pull you up a couple of weeks ago! What are you doing back here in my plants?"

And as I dug, I again was taken back to the scriptures about plants, weeds, and roots. The truth is, our sin is just like those weeds. It grows up and chokes the beautiful plants around it. And just when you think you have "dug up" and thrown out the sin...you find there's still this tiny root that is growing (festering) underground and waiting for the opportune time to pop up!!

We MUST dig those roots all the way out! And as laborious as it is to get rid of the weeds and their roots (and more so our sin), it's a MUST DO. If we wait too long, they grow more rapidly and more widespread. If we get them right away, it's easier.

In fact, better than just pulling them out by hand....we need to trust that the Master Gardener will spray some Weed-Be-Gone on them!!! So my thought for the day...are there weeds I haven't dug up? If so, God, help me see them and get to the REAL root of the problem. Help me be a fruitful and mindful of the junk that can choke me from being my absolute best for you.

No comments: