There is so much research out there that reminds us that teachers have a lot of power to determine whether a student succeeds or fails in the classroom. I believe this. I can think of so many teachers in my life that believed in me. What follows, is a speech that I gave during my tenure as our county's Teacher of the Year. This speech was delivered to the Phi Beta Kappa society in our community. The words below are excerpted from the end of the presentation. I have chosen to share them as food for thought as we begin new school years, think about those with whom we come in contact daily, and consider ways to impact our world:
It is said that learning is the greatest gift of all. I believe this is true. While I've chosen teaching as a profession, I think most teaching and learning takes place outside of the institutional walls and usually without a professional educator present. Each of us here today, can probably recall both formal and informal teaching and learning opportunities that we have experienced. I believe these life-lessons have the potential create a thirst for more knowledge.
Twenty years ago, as a senior in college, I experienced this type of life-lesson from two of my own college professors. They taught me content area academics regularly, but the lessons that will remain with me forever are the ones that I received outside of their classrooms. That year, I learned the power of words.
One professor, who was also my advisor, made the decision that I wasn’t fit to be a teacher. She told me, "You'll never make it in education." And to "Get out now." She was convinced that I was not worth her time or effort and that I would certainly never be able to teach kids. I almost believed her. I wrestled with those words for weeks!
One day, another professor caught wind of her advice and called me into her office. This person had observed my teaching and told me clearly, "I don't care what she says, you need to stay in. You will be a wonderful teacher." Again, I wrestled. I can honestly tell you that I stand here today planted solidly in the field of education because of the encouraging words of this woman.
Looking back now, I realize that we have a choice with our words, we can either encourage or discourage others. From a very young age, human beings only take seconds to believe the discouragement, but take a little longer to really believe the encouragement. I was no different. In fact, I think I held that "will I really make it?" doubt in the back of my mind for a very long time (maybe even the past two years). A. France says that “Nine tenths of education is encouragement." I believe it. These professors proved it to me. That is what I try and pass on to my students daily.
When I chose this profession, it was because teaching and learning was my passion. I almost lost it because of the words of just one person. I desparately needed to have my passion cultivated. Fortunately, the second person came along and her words won out. Each and every day, when I work with teachers and students, it is my hope that I am using encouraging words to cultivate their passion.
I suspect that most of you in this room could point to someone in your life either in or out of the classroom that propelled your quest for knowledge forward. They encouraged your inquiry. You and I have opportunities each and every day to be a teacher---an encourager--- to someone else whether it’s a child, a colleague, or a stranger. We also have the opportunity to help others thirst for more knowledge.
I am thankful for those people who have been a part of my own teaching and learning both in and out of the classroom. If there is one thought I could leave you with it is that you would also seize those opportunities of meaningful conversations, giving encouragement, teaching others, and being a learner that you encounter daily. Then pass it on to those around you. It WILL make a difference!
Encouraging or discouraging, the choice is yours and the choice is mine. Which will it be?
1 comment:
wonderful words
Post a Comment