Today I went with a couple of friends to see Menopause the Musical. We weren't five feet in the door before we knew that we WERE in the right place.
Last week, I purchased tickets online. All was well. I got the confirmation email. Now, you know that they never ask you for those things...so I left it at home. We walked into the large lobby of the theater and the room was filled with women of all ages. When we got to the box office, there was a woman in line being quite hormonal with the man tucked safely behind the glass. She was in a fit because her tickets were lost. I thought, "Wow, she really DOES need to be here!"
I walked up to the lady next to the man behind the glass and I told them I was there to pick up my tickets. They said, "There are no tickets, do you have your confirmation number?" Of course, my answer is "no". Inside I was thinking, "They NEVER ask for that!" She said, "I am sorry but I can do nothing without the confirmation number."
Not wanting to throw a fit like the lady next to me, I stepped away from the window and called home. Son 3 answered. I have him get the email...find the number and he dutifully said, "Mom, your tickets were confirmed for 2:00 on the 19th. That was yesterday, Mom." I'm not sure but maybe HE was thinking, "YEAH she definitely belongs at a play about menopause!"
Near tears, I looked at my two friends who had trusted me to get their tickets. I said, "I wouldn't have done that...we work on Fridays at 2:00!" Debra reminded me though that my head has been in a thousand places this week.
I marched up to the window and talked to the man in the Peter Pan shirt who had just finished being scolded by the woman. He said, "What's your name?" I told him. In my head, I was repeating, "I will NOT be like that lady! I will NOT be like that lady!" And truthfully I did pretty well until he said, "I found your tickets, they were for YESTERDAY at 2:00!" I swallowed hard and said, "Well, what can you do about it?" Just like it was his mistake. I was wondering if he was glad that this show that has been held over several times since May is ending tomorrow.
At first he said, "Nothing." But, in a short instance, he said, "Wait a minute. I can give you a box seat." I am sure my face told all..."a box seat?" My mind was thinking, the only box seats I know of are the ones like President Lincoln was sitting in when he was assassinated or the multi-thousand dollar ones at the football stadium. I said, "I'll take them."
We walked up to the second floor and, sure enough, we were escorted through the exclusive door to the "box seats" right up on top of the stage....picture the pictures you have seen of Ford's theater and we were in the box directly across from where Lincoln was sitting.
It was as if it was our own performance. And we enjoyed every minute of it. From "Change, Change, Change," sung to the tune of "Chain of Fools" to "My Husband Sleeps Tonight" sung to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." It was great fun....and a reality check at the same time. See, I thought I'd be going to see about something I have watched OTHER women go through and that I'd experience some day in the future. I guess my ticket-buying experience drives home the reality that "someday might be closer than I think!"
3 comments:
Too funny, and we definitely are related;-) If it makes you feel any better I had two of those kind of moments last week during VBS. The first one was fairly common in that I ran a red light....except usually one is aware that they are about to do so and are slowing down...but I didn't....I was very lucky.
The other moment is a bit more humorous (now;-). Katie has had cross country practice at 6:45 a.m. for the past two weeks, and a friend and I have taken turns driving but I still got up to make sure Katie was ready to be picked up on the mornings I didn't take them to practice. In any case one morning I decided to fill our jacuzzi tub halfway with warm water before I left to pick up Katie so Molly could have a bath when we returned. (She had a physical later that day... did I mention that this was during VBS week:-).
I didn't remember the bathtub again until 45 minutes later when I was driving Katie and her friend home from practice...Molly, of course, was with us....and David and Bob were out of town.....Katie's friend probably thought I was nuts when I asked if she would mind going to our house first! Thank goodness for the overflow drains....the tub was brimming but had not overflowed....I had visions of water flowing throughout our bedroom;-) Maybe menopause has already begun! I wonder if that musical is coming to Columbus;-)
Lynn
ROFLMBO!!! First... this brings back GREAT memories for me -- as my sister and I saw Menopause together several years ago - when I was actually going through it! But your story is just ... so ..... TYPICAL! LOL! I do things like this ALLLL the time! I'm SO glad it worked out WELL for you! Sometimes that does happen... usually it doesn't! But I LOVE a happy ending! (And my favorite was Hot Flash!) (oh... I also like Puff, My God, I'm draggin'!) LOL!!!
here we go - 5 years later! My husband built the set for the Cleveland production of Menopause the Musical and he kept saying how hilarious it was. So we went and I LOVED it so I had to take my girlfriends and we got up and kicked out kicks and got our beads! Great fun. If I had remembered this it would have been my answer to the funniest comedy I had ever seen, too!
Post a Comment