More Info About Me

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mediocrity Makes Me CRAZY!!

I just spent about two hours talking with one of my administrators about an issue at our school site. They (the principal and assistant principal) have expressed their intention to be in classrooms more this year. In an effort to give teachers feedback, they have created a form to fill out during their visits. They feel like those that give 200% don't always get the "atta boys" and "atta girls" that they deserve. And they're right.

Some teachers get very upset about these things. They call the union to see if such a thing is "legal" (which it is). They whine and complain about this type of "new evaluation". Of course, the principal (and assistant principal)has EVERY right (and in my opinion, the responsibility) to see that the teachers in his or her school are teaching the best they can.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that this is really about wanting to be mediocre and not having to "live up" to anyone else's expectations. It seems to often come from those who are biding their time until they are able to leave the classroom. It's sad and it really gets my goat.

I wish that the same people who are so vocal about union issues would put that same energy into teaching our kids the best they can. I am a member of the union---but I really have a problem with some of the things they spend time on. Why can't it be about what's best for kids?

I teach in a title one school (about 72% of our kids are on free or reduced lunch). While we have some parents who really stay on top of what is happening in the classrooms, there are many that don't. It's easy for adequate or mediocre (and even poor) teachers to "hide out" in these schools For the most part, my school is filled with outstanding professionals who are really advocates for kids and learning. And I would allow almost all of my colleagues to teach my own children. However, in most public schools (mine included), you will find a couple of teachers that shouldn't be there. They are tired, they don't want to be there, they don't appear to even like kids, and they are marking time until they can draw their retirement checks. This is just wrong!

In my opinion, if we really want to see that no child is left behind in this country, then it's time to bury mediocrity in our schools. It's time to make sure that EVERY child is receiving an excellent education and that they are being taught by a person who actually WANTS to be there and really LIKES kids. It's time to stop whining and DO something.

Maybe the feedback form of an administrator can begin to help move us in this direction. Maybe it will help those "WOW" teachers realize that they ARE important and valued (and encourage them to stay in the profession). And maybe it will help those who aren't quite "up to snuff" to start rethinking how they do things.

When I think about "highly qualified teachers", I know that every kid deserves one. In my opinion, public education will not be doing its job until every kid has one and mediocrity has been layed in the grave once and for all. I realize it's a "pie in the sky" dream...but often reality starts with a dreamer like me (and my administrators). Anything's possible.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Preach it, teach!

Seriously...we're NOT in a title one school district and mediocrity was more or less what we saw in ALL of the schools up 'til this year (even in the "gifted magnet" setting!).

Keep advocating for future generations...we're proud of you and behind you 100%!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are here...wishing you the best during your first year and hooray for being an advocate for the kids who have to struggle!!!