Here we are at the first day of school. I usually LOVE this day. I love the smell of new crayons. Having new school supplies. I love seeing the boys get dressed up in their new uniforms and clothes. I love it all.
Today, though, I had a tear in my eye. I dropped my DS 3 off at High School for the first time. He walked confidently onto the campus, and I had a tear in my eye. I'm allowed. I'm the Mom!
I am not one of those Moms who wants to keep them forever small. I love watching them grow. And, in fact, I've quite enjoyed the high school years with my older two. But, it means I am one step closer to having less in the nest.
I know I talk about wanting a "pink room". And I'm not kidding about that. I want a place where I can do what I want. Watch Lifetime movies. Laugh. Cry. And, in general, be a "girl". My friend Kelly keeps telling me I need to fill my room with American Girl dolls and only allow girls inside!! And I might.
The truth is, however, that I LOVE having my boys. I love being around them. I love how they tussel. I was meant for the life I've been given. And I'm not in that big a hurry to have them gone just so I can have a little space.
And watching each of them take a new step in their schooling just means I am that much closer to bigger changes. DSs 1 and 2 have finished that season of their lives. They are doing the "college thing" now. I know that I will but blink my eyes and DS 3 will be done with high school. That will mean my DS 4 will be much older too.
And THAT'S why I get all sappy!
7 comments:
Yes, I completely understand! I absolutely loved my children in all stages and each one I would think, "this is the BEST!"... then they went to college half way across the US and I disolved in a huge puddle of tears in the driveway as I watched the drive off to their new adventure in life.
BUT, after they were gone and I adjusted, I again LOVED my life and where my children were and fit into it.
God's goodness is amazing. You will have your pink room and want your boys in there with you!
You are back to school already?? When do you all get out for summer vacation? Love the idea of a pink room :)....Your girls will come someday...you will just appreciate your daughter in laws and grand daughters all the more! Keep safe in the wind/rain!
Marilyn
It is SURELY okay to be sappy! You ARE the mom and it is a mother's RIGHT to be sappy! But I bet Dad gets a little sappy about it all too! (just a little?) Dennis got sappy when KRYSTI went off last year! SHE is HIS baby! And he'll miss her when she goes on Wednesday too. (but not as much as I will!) They DO grow... and you have SUCH the right attitude! I've always enjoyed watching mine grow and getting to see the adults they become. Mine have many more rough patches than yours have - but they are still in the morphing stage and I STILL have faith that they will all be AWESOME adults when it's done!
I think I will feel that way every year! The beginning of school reminds me that they are growing and I can't hold on to them forever!
Hope your first day went well!
Understandable for sure!
Susan
I can only imagine how it feels to have your third in high school. Time does march on quickly, huh? I do like the new updated photos of your sons on the sidebar. I can tell there's a Tigger in DS4 - so cute!
Our kids reach so many benchmarks on their journey and as a Mom we cherish each one. It's been over 20 years since I was involved in buying school supplies but I still get excited when I see clerks loading the shelves with notebooks, pens, glue/paste, magic markers, etc. I still have to buy something. A couple weeks ago I picked up a ream of paper even though I have 2 unopened reams.
Post a Comment