More Info About Me

Friday, August 22, 2008

The Mother and the Goose

This post could just as easily be titled: "What I learned at school this week"!

E is the Kindergarten Student that I told you about earlier this week. We have had to physically take him to class every day this week. On Monday afternoon, Mom asked me if I would meet her at the parking lot every day to get him from her car and escort him to class. She is very pregnant and has back trouble. Since I am there each day, I agreed.

The first day, I had to escort him he kicked and screamed the whole way there. Someone who is trained to physically handle children came soon after we arrived in class and removed him. He did eventually go to class with a turtle puppet that belonged to one of our counselors.

The second day when Mom showed up, I met E at the car with my smiling teacher face and welcomed him back to school. As I am physically pulling the flailing child from the car, I put him in one arm—kind of in a football hold—and went to grab the backpack and lunchbox from the back seat. Mom, in a very serious voice, handed me this two inch tall plastic goose and said, “Here’s the goose. He’s going to need it.”

OK. I am curious, but I am not stupid. I was not going to stand there for an explanation with the child wriggling, squirming, screaming and kicking in my arms! I took the goose and said, “OK.”

The Principal saw that E wasn’t happy and came and took him from me. I took the backpack, lunchbox, and the goose to the teacher. I told the teacher, “E is here today. Here’s the goose. Mom says he’s going to need it.” The teacher, looked at it quizzically but stuck the little figure in his pocket.

Yesterday afternoon, E’s Mom found me on my way to our Parent Pick-Up line. And she approached me very seriously and said, “I gave you the goose. We are going to need it.” I said, “I gave it to Mr. B.” She said, “Well, we need it.” So, I got on my radio and called the office. Can you imagine what my call sounded like to everyone with a radio?

“Um, Office, this is Mrs. N. Can you please call Mr. B. and ask him to bring E’s goose to Parent Pick-up?”

The reply came quickly, “Mrs. N. I don’t think I understand your request.”

I said, “E’s Mother sent a goose to the room this morning and she needs it back.”

The Office person, hearing the seriousness in my voice, said: “OK I’ll call him and ask him for it.”

Soon, the goose and Mr. B. showed up at Parent Pick-Up and all was well in the world again.

When I was relaying the story to my boys last night, I mentioned that I am not “trained to do restraints” and they replied: “MOM, you’ve raised FOUR boys…you are QUITE TRAINED!”

Well, OK-then. I guess what I need is a little “goose training”. Cause I know I’m missing something somewhere!!

16 comments:

samurai said...

Yet another example of why I should give praise to God for where my son is at, and where he isn't.

I hope you have a much more peaceful weekend.

Melli said...

Maybe after the weekend you'll be able to find out what the goos is all about! I'm with your boys though -- I know you've had ALL the training you can possibly have! And even down to the goose - you did exactly the right thing! Don't ASK - just take the goose! LOL! You'll have to fill us in when you find out it's significance!

kreed said...

You better keep us posted on that goose - I am a littel more than curious now! And your boys' statement cracked me up - how funny!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well I guess it was really important to little E!! Just like my kids they had to have their blankey or their mimi!! Don't know why but some kids just want that sense of security and of course to E it was his goose!! You did great!!

To a great Teacher...

Sandy

Anonymous said...

S...How funny! Can't you just invision this story when Z starts K with his "baer" aka bear??!!
C

Anonymous said...

S...How funny! Can't you just invision this story when Z starts K with his "baer" aka bear??!!
C

Susan said...

I know you're not laughing but I am :o) I can just hear that conversation over a loud speaker. Wonder what all the children thought? I'm surprised you didn't get run over with all the kids coming to see the goose!!
Susan

Baba said...

Wow... Susan , what a story...I hope that E will get use to school and not cry everyday...when you hear about the purpose of the goose, let us know..kids can have their own funny quirks..I am glad that Emma loves school. We have had two rainy and windy days and another one ahead for tomorrow..this storm comes in and never wants to leave..We lost power for 5 hours last night..It is spooky on the marsh with no lights...Mr. Fred sleeps through it all and I am the one awake trying to read by a lantern...

Talk to you later, hugs, Baba

Merrie said...

I cannot imagine why the goose... but, what's good for the goose is good for the gander! (one of my mother's favorite sayings) Maybe you'll get the gander Monday!
That is a funny story - AFTER the fact. Sad for little E and his mother!

Anonymous said...

Loved the story. Makes me a little less homesick for school....since I've chosen not to go back to Kindergarten this year. You did the right thing! I am curious about how he got attached to the goose! I'm sure it's a security "blanket" but I just wonder about it's significance.
Marilyn
www.xanga.com/m_squad4

Anonymous said...

Susan, will you be my friend? :-) I am a former Kindergarten teacher, current PreK teacher, mother of four. I'll meet my new students and parents next week.

As I read this post, I found myself thinking, "Why didn't I lift weights this summer?!". I know I will be carrying someone in on the first day!

I met the Literacy Coach at my son's middle school, recently. Sounds like a fascinating job!

Nancy said...

Susan~ You know this retired kindergarten teacher loved this story... been there-done that... more times than I want to count! I'm still smiling thinking about the goose and the laughter created at pick up time. You are a blessing to that kindergarten teacher and to the child... where you when I needed you!

Jane said...

That's one for your book....you are going to write one about your teaching career, right???? Then you can write one about being married to a minister!! Then about raising boys.....what am I saying....I could write the very same books!!!!!

heidi @ ggip said...

Yes, I am so enthralled by the goose. Was it a Little People goose?

Alise said...

Can't wait to find out the story on this one!

Momma Roar said...

Ok, this is just too funny.

I do hope if you figure out what the goose is about, you'll tell us!