More Info About Me

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Book Review: The Shack

Back in December, my blogging friend Connie read this book, The Shack by William P. Young. She came over here and encouraged me to check it out and read it. I told her I'd try and add it to my list of books. And I DID make a mental note to do so.

It wasn't until I was purchasing some books for summer reading, however, that I actually purchased the book to add to my pile. I started it just after we returned from Alaska. Then, I thought I left it in a hotel on our July 4th weekend. And after I bought a new copy, I found out I'd just tucked it in my tote bag for safe keeping.

It was when I went to buy my new copy that I heard about all the controversy that is following this book. The sales lady said she had read it and enjoyed it. She said she especially "loved the ending" but she wanted me to be aware that there were people in the Christian community who are emphatically against the book. In fact, our local Christian bookstore put the following notice in the book:

The management of [insert name of your local Christian bookstore]does not agree with the theology and doctrinal statements of the book entitled, "THE SHACK",but since it is written as FICTION,you be the judge and make up your
own mind.Comments are welcome.


OK, in many ways, that is like telling someone "not to think about a pink elephant." And never being one to shy away from the "pink elephant" without a clear reason not to forgo my reading of this book, I decided to plow ahead.

I took the new copy on my cruise to the Caribbean, but couldn't bring myself to pick it back up. In fact, I gave that copy to my cousin, Lynn, and decided I'd read it as soon as I returned home. I looked for a deeper reason for the delay in my finishing this book. But there wasn't one, of which I am aware.

I finished the book, however, during the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics last night. And I'm glad I did.

At first, the story reminded me a bit of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" as we find the main character "Mackenzie Allen Philips" heading back to an abandoned shack in search of answers regarding the brutal kidnapping and murder of his daughter. He ends up meeting up with God or Papa, Jesus, and Sarayu (Young's version of the Holy Spirit) in a very unique way--that's the "Dickens part".

I tried to keep in mind that this was, in fact, a work of fiction. And, for me, I did not find the areas of "issue" of great concern. Here is a great article on the controversy surrounding the book in USA Today.

Here are a couple of highlights from the story for me:

While Jesus and Mack are talking, Jesus discusses where Mack's imagination is most of the time. He notes: "When I dwell with you, I do so in the present--I live in the present. Not the past, although much can be remembered and learned by looking back, but only for a visit, not an extended stay. And for sure I do not dwell in the future you visualize or imagine. Mack, do you realize thatyour imagination of the future, which is almost always dictated by fear of some kind, rarely, if ever, pictures me there with you?"

OUCH! I am guilty of worrying about that future and forgetting that Jesus is a part of it as He walks with me each and every day of my life. Rather than worrying about it, as the Bible tells us...we need to live in the here and now.

And because I see and hear over and over again people trying to say that "God caused a tragedy because..." OR "It was 'his/her time to go' because God needed him/her in heaven..." I loved Papa's words to Mack when speaking of the horrible tragedy that claimed his daughter's life:
"Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

I love that!

Another poignant part of the story is when Mack is confronted with his own habit of judging. I'd love to say that I couldn't relate at all to passing judgment in some of my own life situations. But I can't. And neither could Mack. He is forced to realize that each time he judges something, he is playing God. And no one has that right.

The book is centered on relationships and facing the things that can "grip us" from our past--requiring each reader to visit our own "shack" of sorts. Again and again Mack is reminded that he must have a relationship with God (Papa) through his son Jesus. And while Young's critics note that he doesn't mention "The Bible" in this book...I know of no better way to learn the character of God and to be in relationship with Him than to be "in the Word".

I can see this being a book that appeals to those who are seeking God in a very real way. The story reminds us that God is there even when we endure unspeakable pain. Speaking about his main character, the author says: "Mack is me, a guy who has made a mess of everything," Young says. "The book takes him[Mack] outside everything familiar, back to the worst experience of his life and lets him recognize God is so much greater."

And, in my opinion, Young "hits home" the most important message of all: God loves each of us deeply regardless of where we are in our life's journey!

12 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Yea... you read it... and I love how you pull out some of the awesome parts of what Young writes...

I have heard parts of Youngs testimony... and it really puts into perspective the meaning of his writing....

all in all.. God loves us...

thank you for sharing this.

Connie

Connie Barris said...

ps... you are good..

you really stand back and look at the books from a birds eye view... and keep your emotions out of it...

great job

Melli said...

Yea... I've been waiting for this too... and unfortunately you've caught me off guard - I don't have my copy of the book because I loaned it out and now I can't go look up the part I want to discuss with you. I read the book right after Connie did too. And I liked it ... but I had some questions about it! NOT the same questions that are surrounding this controversy (that I had no idea even existed!). Really... I "enjoyed" the story... except for ONE thing that God said that I thought JUST sounded "off kilter"... and it left me "uncomfortable" with the entire book. When I mentioned it to Connie she only vaguely remembered it, so I've been WAITING for someone else (who's opinion I respect) to finish it. The gal I loaned it too has finished it now too - but has not returned it yet - and she and I haven't had a chance to discuss it at all yet! But as soon as I get it back, I'm going to browse through and find the questionalble bit that bothered me. Obviously you didn't catch it... LOL! (and it may be that I'm just hearing it wrong)

Now... having looked at this controversy... at least the link that you left, I can SEE how some people are tearing it apart. I did NOT buy into the part about Papa being MAMA... that was very uncomfortable to me... but I figured that was just because I DO pray "Papa"... I was also a little uncomfortable with Suraya... any "embodiment" of the Holy Spirit felt strange to me. And I think those are only very vague and not worth being controversial about ... they just weren't comfortable for ME. But all people are different, and if "The Shack" can bring even ONE person to Christ then it is worthwhile. I think the things that are mentioned in that article are things that people are not giving GOD enough credit to handle! It's not important if the NOVEL is biblical... If it can make ONE person feel comfortable to ask Jesus for a real honest to goodness relationship... then God will take care of the rest!!! Right?

Susan said...

Oh Melli I so agree with what you say here in the last paragraph...it's a NOVEL. I think that's what the bookstore people were trying to say, too. I mean after all they ARE still selling it.

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have you in my GoogleReader, but am terrible about commenting. :0(

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have you in my GoogleReader, but am terrible about commenting. :0(

heidi @ ggip said...

Excellent last paragraph. ALthough I always love a good debate (okay, not always), I do think people tend to like the pick apart stuff instead of looking at the overall good stuff.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I was not bowled over by this book like a lot of people had been, but I did not hate it, either. It was difficult for me to even finish, not because I didn't agree theologically or philosophically, but because I did not enjoy the writer's style or the embodiments of the trinity. Maybe I'm too critical of writing. All I know is, the book didn't "speak" to me the way it did a lot of people. I didn't get what the big fuss was about.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. I haven't read it but I've heard of the controversy. From what you say and what I read in your comment section... I think I will get the book. Great Post!

Merrie said...

Thank you! I have wondered about the book and heard from different ones that I should read it. I almost bought it last week, but didn't.
I will now. Thank you for reviewing it for us!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your review of the shack. The controversy around the book has made me so sad. As we keep hearing....it is FICTION. All you have to do is go to the author's web site and a lot of the questions that people have about the book are answered right there.
Marilyn

Momma Roar said...

I was waiting to read this post until I finished the book.

I really enjoyed it, but I share the same thoughts as you and Melli regarding the papa/mama part. To me, I just tried to look at it as that is how Mack needed to view God due to his past with his father. Because after he saw his father, God became a man.

I didn't really struggle through this as I kept in mind that it was fiction. My sister in law was listening to the audio version while I was reading and she kept bringing up concerns but in the end, I think she enjoyed it.

I enjoyed your review of it - well, I enjoy all your reviews! :D