More Info About Me

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Book Review: Coming Unglued

When I was shopping for fun reads in our bookstore a few weeks ago, I was so excited to see the second book in this series of Sisters Ink by Rebecca Seitz. I won the first book over at Stacy's blog earlier this year and read and reviewed it in March.

The second book, Coming Unglued, hones in on another Sinclair sister, Kendra. Kendra is a flamboyant artist who has a rough past behind her. Before being adopted by the Sinclairs, she lived with her single Mother who had a parade of boyfriends in the house. Although it is not mentioned with great depth, some even used to "visit Kendra's room".

Kendra is forced to face her past while also learning to understand the adult she is as she deals with not one, but two relationships. This book deals with betrayal and reminds the reader that often betrayal is nothing more than emotional. But even then, it can be very damaging to the people involved and those around them.

Seitz does a great job giving the reader a glimpse into the lives of the Sinclair sisters in her book. While they help Kendra face some of the hurdles that her life choices bring, they are also planning Tandy's wedding. These are sisters who care deeply for one another and aren't afraid to confront issues head on when necessary. And they do it all while surrounded by two of MY favorite things: scrapbooking and chocolate!

This book is definitely a good (and quick) read! Like the first book, the faith thread is woven throughout the story, but it is not overly heavy. The message of redemption and moving beyond our past is strong. And the fact that God's love is stronger than any of the lies that roll around our heads is clear.

Once again, I'll be waiting for book 3 to come out in February!!


{Note: I am very excited because I am now down to my last three books from my Summer reading list...which is good, since school starts Monday! It's about the best I've done with intentions and reading in a while.}

3 comments:

Melli said...

I am only BARELY peeeeeeking at this post because MY Summer reading stack just keeps growing and growing and growing and growing... it's like the daggone Energizer Bunny!!! And you just keep reviewing things that make me need to buy more books! sheeeesh!

Have a great weekend! (I'm NOT putting this in my cart at Amazon... you will have to remind me about it at a later date... maybe after the 5th or 6th book comes out... k?)

Anonymous said...

I need to go grab that one!! I really did enjoy the first one.

Anonymous said...

I remember you reviewing the first book, and I thought it sounded good then. I need to add these to my list!