Yesterday I finished the book Quiet Strength by Coach Tony Dungy. I have been wanting to read this book since it came out. I finally got it and finished it all in a 24 hour window!Before I review, let me say that I have followed Coach Dungy since he started coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He and his family had quite an impact in the Bay Area both through football and the faith arena.
I was struck, as was most of our community, when his son, James committed suicide two years ago just before Christmas. And while it was a sad sad event. In the midst of the tragedy, the Dungys created a platform for this man (and his family) to share their incredible faith with the world.
Then, last year the Colts won the Super Bowl. And in the midst of this HUGE triumph for Coach Dungy and the team, he again used the platform to proclaim his faith especially during the post-game celebration.
So, the book already had accounts of things I remember well: the hiring by the Buccaneers, the first time in years that they made it to the playoffs, going from a team that couldn't fill a stadium to one that had sell-outs game after game. And I remember the day the man was fired when they didn't win the final playoff game.
The book also tells about Tony's roots of faith and family. He describes being raised in a home where education was valued and practiced. He shares again and again some of the twists and turns his own journey has taken him.
The theme I love throughout the book is one he uses when he coaches..."stay the course. Do what you do." He talks a lot about the way teams often have knee-jerk reactions when they are playing a higher-ranked opponent or a difficult game. And while you DO occasionally have to make adjustments, he abides by his belief that if you stay the course and do what you do, you'll win in the end.
His message to the Colts at the first season meeting a few years ago was, "Be patient. Keep doing the ordinary things better than anyone else. Be uncommon. Do what we do."
He also shares the important message that it's not all about football. I'm sure there are many football players, coaches, and even fans out there who might disagree. But Tony simply believes that football is not the thing that defines him. Sure he loves it. He plans to keep doing it as long as God has him there...but it's clear that if he were called away from it, he'd go.
If you are not a football fan, this book may be more difficult for you to read. If you like the sport at all, and especially if you are at all familiar with this man, I highly recommend the book.
And whether you ever read a page or not, may I encourage you in the words of Coach Dungy to "Stay the course...and do what you do."
9 comments:
As always, we generally share the same interests in books. I have had this on my TBR list since it first came out. Right now I am reading Joel Osteen's new book ;) I love the new photos on your sidebar ;)......if you click on my photography site you will see I even have my oranges covered for the freeze tonight ;)
I've heard a lot of good things about this guy. I also heard that he is making a lot of appearances in big churches and stuff like that.
Sounds like a good book.
Hi Susan!!!!! Sounds like a great book Hubby would like, but not me.
The picture is a magnolia!!! Did you like it?
That sounds like a really wonderful read and I really like what I've heard about him. I'll have to add it to my list.
I did not realize he had a book out. Great title for it! I heard players say they have never heard him yell. That is amazing for a coach.
Susan, we Hoosiers are pretty proud of Coach Dungy, although I cannot claim to be a die-hard Colts fan who paints herself blue each game! I have a question for you and cannot find your email address. Will you email me at
lindacrow@comcast.net? Thanks.
I am sure it is a good book but if you have read my blog for today you will know that football is just not my thing!!
Hope all is well there. i am praying.
sandy
Sounds like a really strong gentleman! Strong in character, strong in faith. Another Cal Ripken Jr... I think I'd LIKE this guy!
I have added it to my list... thank you for that review!
And I sure am glad he's not still with the Bucs. ;-)
God bless... \o
Post a Comment