On a recent visit to our local Christian bookstore, I decided that I needed something "new" to read. It's not like I don't have a TON of books sitting in my "to be read" stack, but I wanted something to jump off the shelves at me.This book did it.
The title and the cover caught my eye, and this sentence from the back cover sealed the deal:
Determined to fulfill her husband's last request, Claudia McIntosh is hauling a three-foot bust of Elvis Presley in the back seat of a vintage Cadillac from Dallas to Memphis.
The blurb goes on to explain that she is joined by her eccentric aunt who actually knew the King of Rock 'n' Roll. They find themselves in the company of a friends' daughter, a temperamental teen.
Let me tell you, I have enjoyed this book from front to back! It made me laugh and cry as I pictured each step of the journey these three women take to return this mysterious bust. And of that journey, Ellis' character Claudia notes:
At the beginning of our journey, I thought we three were as different as the seasons. But now I realize even the seasons are connected and dependent on one another.
I love the reminder that we really DO need to depend on each other to take each step. And more importantly, we must depend on God. We are not alone.
Ellis does a fantastic job of incorporating faith in this story in very real, manageable chunks. It's not so overt that it's a turn-off. Nor is it contrived and stiff. I mean these women find themselves in bars, dealing with such topics as unplanned pregnancies, early death, hidden secrets, suicide, wrestling with faith and uncovering lies. In essence, these are three generations of women meeting real life with real emotions head on.
I like the review on the back that calls this book, "..a fun, deep, unexpected book."
On a light note, I loved the trip down memory lane. There are plenty of Elvis facts woven throughout along with reminiscing of the 60's, 70's and 80's. For me, this was one of the things that kept me reading...despite the fact that I've never been to Memphis or had an overt interest in the "king"!
I want to encourage you to read this book. If you lived through the "Elvis era", have wrestled with heartache and loneliness, enjoyed life in the 60's, 70's and/or 80's, have walked on the wild side, stuffed emotions, or dealt with skeletons in a closet, you just might find yourself in there.
I know I did.
{Note: Another thing that drew me to this book is that Leanna Ellis, the author, is from my brother's hometown of Keller, TX. You can visit Leanna Ellis' website and blog and learn more about her book here. It's well worth the visit. I am adding this to my Google Reader right now.}
13 comments:
That sounds like a fun book. I love the title. Thanks for sharing, i've never heard of it before, but I might look for it now.
Ohhhhh gosh! This one is reminding me of the Southern Sister's mysteries... and I haven't even opened a page yet! I'll have to check this out!
Ooh, that sounds good!
Good morning Susan, this book sounds like it was made for me .. the years in the 60's , I was in my 20's ....I am going to the book store soon...You are too cute about the big " o" comment on my blog...when you are my age , you say what pops into your head.LOL... Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs, Baba
I kind of grew up with Elvis. He was almost exactly 10 years older than me. I thought he was the most handsome man until hubby came along..he looked a lot like Elvis when he was 16!! Thanks for the review. You read books so fast. Sandy
You know I love your book reviews and I am one person who does buy a book by its cover...so you had me at Hello! I will definitely be on the look out for this one.
This looks great! Thanks for the review!
Sounds like a good one. I'm heading to my library's web site to see if I can get it!
Susan, Thanks so much for your lovely review of my book! I'm delighted you enjoyed it so much. I will do a link to your site tomorrow on my blog. I would love it if you posted your review on Amazon. Thanks again! Blessings, Leanna
Oh darlin' ... we have got some daiquiris going ON over at Jane's place! And some serious painting too!!!
Susan,
This book sounds really great... I'm putting it on my list.
Another small world connection... my DH is also from Keller, TX!
That sounds like a wonderful read. I need to add that to my wish list!
I'm off to check out her website!!
I love, love, love Elvis. I will put this on my list of must reads.
I don't think you will be disappointed in Goldie's book. I learned so much about her.
Post a Comment