I walked into a classroom today and something on the teacher's desk caught my eye. It was a can of aerosol "something" that was covered in paper with a handmade label titled: Student Repellent. It even had the skull and crossbones on it.
There may be a story behind it that everyone in the classroom knows. And there may not be.
I don't like it. I think it is inappropriate. For the record, I feel the same way about the pottery jars you can buy that say "Ashes of Naughty Children".
Student repellent? Is that the message we really want to send to kids? Especially kids who are surrounded by adults that may or may not care about them.
As I reflected on the mental images this can stirred up within me, I thought: "I don't want ANY child to think that I want student repellent...instead I want to be a student magnet."
And I want my own children surrounded by people who are student magnets.
My mind drifted to an experience I observed last night. I attended the Mr. R. High School which is a "pageant atmosphere" for senior guys at DS 2's school. He was one of the 11 contestants. Mr. M., who is the senior class sponsor, and DS 2's reason for wanting to go into education, was there. Throughout the night, he was running around making sure everything was running smoothly for this "show". He also participated in the talent portion with two of the guys.
The first guy was displaying talent that was "up Mr. M's alley." He was doing Science magic tricks of sorts. Mr. M was the assistant for the demonstration. Since he's a Science teacher, I suspect it wasn't any sacrifice to stand up there and play with the chemicals and stuff. The second guy, though, he was doing a mock wrestling match. Mr. M was the opponent. It was funny and, I suspect, NOT up Mr. M's alley. But he obviously went all out for this student.
Later in the interview with the finalist, one student gave this teacher and his classroom kudos. Some kids simply wouldn't do that. And even the ones who would credit teachers and classes, have teachers they would NEVER mention.
Mr. M is a student magnet. I think he genuinely likes kids. I, for one, am glad.
Are there some students with whom it's hard to connect? Sure. Still, in every circumstance I think educators have a choice: Repellent or Magnet?
I choose magnet.
{For the record, DS 2 did NOT win the title...but he's still "Mr. R High School" to us and he made us proud!}
14 comments:
I can't believe a teacher would think that can would be funny. Do you plan to approach the teacher about this?
Wonder what she would do if the students came in with cans labeled "Teacher Repellent" ?
I agree...not funny!!!!
I'm with you! Magnet is way better! (though sometimes I felt like they ALL had a can of teacher repellent!) LOL! (well... some days are LIKE that ... even in Australia!) And the teachers who ARE a magnet, don't need anything to help them out. The one's who ARE a repellent don't need a can either... their attitude is self evident!
We were just reading in Grace Based Parenting how bad it is to put down the entire generation of teenagers. Like it's their fault that they are that age.
I see a correlation between that and "students." It is really hurtful and certainly a teacher should know better.
Oh that's awful! I sure wouldn't want my child having that teacher. Sounds like they need to get out of teaching. I agree, being a magnet is so much better!!
Like you, I pray I am always a magnet for children! I sure hope the can was some inside joke, but even if it was, it was an iappropriate one!
It's such a shame that there are educators out there who don't like their students, and they make it plain.
For two years I worked in an after-school care program. I loved those kids like they were my own. There were a few kids that managed to keep themselves unlovable, but you could tell by their behavior that the REASON they were that way is because they were TREATED as unlovable. (The mother of one of these kids said to me and in front of her son, "I stay at home, so I really don't need daycare, but I just want them out of the house.") OUCH!!!
As well you should. That is so dishearting about the can. I personally think we make too many "jokes" about things that are very serious and not at all funny. A little on the mean side in my opinion.
I can tell you love the kids and stand up for what is right.
Susan
Yeah for wonderful teachers like that!! The world needs more of them. (Of course, you are one of those too!!) :)
You're a great lady and great professional. Loved this post. Also, as I read, I noticed your boys' pictures in the sidebar, and I have to say, could your eldest look any more like his dad than he does? No way! Carbon copy!
Good evening Susan, I am glad you found the yams in your store.Did your family like them? I had a sweet potato for dinner tonight.
You are such a sweet person and always stand up for your family and the kids at school.You are a true magnet to others...Keep up your strong stand..Blessings to you...
Hugs, Baba
I would be very interested to hear the story behind that can and what made the teacher think it was O.K. Doesn't seem very funny to me.
I always am torn about things like this (the repellent). My first response is .... 'that is so inappropriate...especially the skull and crossbones'. But then I calm down and I think...perhaps she uses it as a tool to establish some type of rapport with the more difficult students. A kind of 'getting down to their level' manuever. We have talked about this before....what appears 'inappropriate' to us as straight and narrow adults....is just the right thing to reach some students. I'm not saying I would have such a thing on my desk....however, viewing it from the perspective of the students....wow...way coooool. (or do they even say that anymore???) Just a thought.
Loved your post! As a teacher and parent I agree 100%!
Marilyn
No doubt which one you are...Miss Magnetic Personality.
Post a Comment