More Info About Me

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday Seven

A weekly meme for giving thanks and/or for noting important events in our lives. If you want to play, go here.


This week's Sunday Seven is in honor of the "Dads" in my life.

1. My Dad - He loves his family and I can think of no greater gift to all of us. We have spent countless hours throughout the years enjoying our immediate and extended family. Dad loves to laugh and is often the "life of a party". He has taught us to work hard and to have fun, too. He's also a "softie" and can get quite emotional at times. We're convinced that his Grandchildren have uncovered even more of this part of him! I love you, Dad!

2. My Father-in-Law - He, too, loves to laugh and enjoys spending time with his Family. He lives out his Faith in everything He does and is always there to lend a helping hand. My FIL once told me that it was most important to him that he leave his kids and grandkids a "good name". He has done this with finesse! And while we have to "forgive" some of the corny jokes, (Do YOU know what the Cuban fireman named his two sons?), we are so thankful for his presence in our lives!

3. My Husband - I remember when DH and I were new parents (of only a few weeks) and I came out of a room to see him holding our DS 1 and sticking a Hamburger Helper noodle in his newborn mouth. I am pretty sure I screeched! He looked up at me and said, "He likes it. I'm just letting him lick the juice." Of course, we learned that little babies should not be licking noodle juice, but he has always been there for our kids in a special way. He has set an example from day 1 of being a Godly Husband and Father. This is the greatest gift of all. I love you, Hon!

4. My Brother, G - He is raising our nieces and nephew with the same zest for life that we were raised. I love it. It's a blessing to watch them growing up into such sweet young children and to see how much they love their Daddy! G is a "giver". He is always there to help out whether it's to cook up some food on the grill OR to help with a task around the house. You so special to all of us!

5. My Brother, D - He's not a Father, but he gives so much to his family. It's so neat to see how the kids all love "Uncle D". He enjoys life and lives it well. He is unafraid to explore and try new things. He always has a laugh to share with anyone who is around. We are grateful for all you give to our family and extended family, D!

It's hard to write this, but I am especially moved this Father's Day as I think of two special Men who were so "Fatherly" to me that have passed on.

6. My Grandfather - There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about Grandpa. He was also a man who loves to laugh and enjoyed his family so much. I can picture him sitting in his chair and always telling us how proud he was of each one of his 13 grandkids and (at that time) 17 great grandkids. He loved watching the Gaithers and singing all those Gospel songs. And he loved to read. I miss so many things about him...but I know that he is such a part of who we are today.

7. My Uncle R. - As you might remember, we lost my Uncle R. suddenly in April. While I wasn't around him that much due to distance, he was a very special Uncle who occasionally "parented" us as well. When we were little, he'd keep us in line if we needed it. He loved music and family and often combined both. As we grew older, he loved to talk to us "as adults" and enjoyed watching his Grandchildren and Great Nieces and Nephews. I treasure the times we visited together...even up to last Summer. We miss you, Uncle R!

My life is certainly better, richer, and more full of love because of each one of these men....Happy Father's Day, Everyone!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated, as usual S...now I'll go find some tissues.
Happy Father's Day to all these great and special Fathers.
LY...C

Jane said...

Beautiful tributes to the men in your life. Isn't it wonderful to have Godly men in our lives.

Susan said...

Happy Father's Day to your DH!
Susan

Melanie said...

What a great tribute to some obviously amazing men.

Jill said...

You are blessed to have so many "fathers" in your life. And you wrote about them beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. You are blessed to have so many wonderful men in your life!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, you are blessed. Bless you for recognizing the men in your life....they really don't get the recognition they deserve.

Sharon Bardwell said...

Glad you enjoyed the Two's Meme. Our cruise was great! Relaxing, fun, wonderful. Oh and the D&B purse..toooo cute! :-)

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Such a nice post for today. I have not been able to blog YET today. My friend is dying in the hospital. I hate this so much!! Sandy

Joan said...

What wonderful memories!

Connie Barris said...

How sweet are these memories and tributes...

love the hamburger juice... so does that son love it now??

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,

As your Favorit Father in Law, please allow me to comment on two things.

First is your use of the word "corny" used to describe my jokes. I prefer to refer to them as sophisticated puns which require a high level of comic understanding. It is not my fault if people tend to turn green when I tell them.

Second, I see nothing wrong in my first born son allowing my first born grandson to lick the juice. Boys must learn this skill sometimes -- and learning at the dining room table distracts most house guests.

I love being your fil. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I just read your fil's comment and I'm cracking up! Such love!!! :o)

What a great Sunday Seven!! Lots of wonderful fathers in your life! How blessed your family is!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, S.

G

Melli said...

What a FABULOUS seven! You are certainly blessed with the men in your life! ALL of them! Man... I just didn't even come CLOSE to having time to do a seven this week.... :(