More Info About Me

Thursday, June 28, 2007

I saw it as I left our local YMCA last night. It sits in a garden just outside the new teen center. The sign says, "In Memory of {insert name here}, A Life Well Lived". Those last four words have been marinating in my mind ever since. A Live Well Lived.

At first I thought, "Wow! Those are definitely words that I would love to have said about me someday." Who wouldn't? I mean to really think that someone's life was so well lived that others would notice and say it about them is quite an honor. Then I started to think just what that means to have a "life well lived". And I realized that it's not something that people "might say" after I've gone...but it's something that could be said about us each and everyday.

Soooo....my Thursday Thirteen today consists of thirteen things that I think could mark a life well lived in no particular order:

1. Loving, and being loved, by another human being. There is no greater joy than to know that someone finds you special and wants to spend time with you.

2. Knowing God intimately and understanding the height, and depth, and breadth of His amazing GRACE!

3. Laughing a lot! Finding the joy in each and every day is so important. And laughing is but one way this joy manifests itself in our lives.

4. Having visions and dreams...and going for them. I don't think you necessarily have to "achieve" them, but the simple act of persuing those things that make us passionate means we aren't letting life pass us by.

5. Learning new things each and every day. Whether its a new art form, reading a new book, making a new friend, we need to learn more and more about the world around us each and every day.

6. Taking risks. This is not the "put-your-life-on-the-line" risks. But it is allowing ourselves...no...pushing ourselves beyond our own limits. It's stretching to be more than you are today and more than you thought you could or would be.

7. Recognizing and breathing in the beauty in our world. This means we have to get out and see it. Again, I don't think this means we have to travel to the edge earth...but we do have to stop and "smell the roses" in our own corner of the world once in a while.

8. Learning not to sweat the small stuff. I think this is critical! It is so important that several books have been written in recent years about this very thing. When we fret and worry over the minute and mundane, we miss so much!

9. Extend forgiveness where it needs to be extended. This is hard. I have learned, though, that bitterness, frustration, and anger held inside only hurts the person who houses it all. When we seek to forgive those who hurt us, there is freedom.

10. In the same way we extend forgiveness, I think we need to learn to ask for forgiveness when necessary. We live in a society where it's easy to find fault in the lives and actions of others. To recognize our own role in disagreements is hard, but also a learning experience.
11. Smile. It sounds simple, doesn't it? I can't believe how many times I look around at people with "screwed up" faces. I mean they are actually scrunched up, brows furrowed, and mouth in a permanent frown.
12. Dance and sing. I don't know that we have to "actually" DO both of these things. But I know that music is a healer. It can fill our souls and bring us so much joy if we let it. It's freeing when we let music fill our souls. It's healing when we learn to move and "dance" to the music that is in our world.

13. Live in the moment. Certainly I believe we need to look ahead, but that must be balanced by living today to the best of our ability. It's also easy to look back and think of everything we haven't done or that we missed. May we all strike that balance where we can live in the moment, hope for the future and rejoice in the past.
And may each of us lead "A Life Well Lived"!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


15 comments:

samurai said...

I am always amazed at how you come up with 13 things every week! All I have to say is Amen.

Susan said...

13 great points. The people I feel sorry for are the ones who get to the end of their life and say "If only I had.........."(fill in the blanks). I try to live my life so I have no regrets. Oh yes, sorry for things sometimes done wrong, but no regrets in not stepping out and taking chances, trusting people, etc.
Susan

Momma Roar said...

A great list Susan.

When I'm out and about, I really try to make my smile contagious! It makes me smile bigger if I can put a smile on someone else's face.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Wonderful wonderful list but I would expect this great list from you my friend!! I agree with every point that you made. Don't sweat the small stuff is wonderful!! I do that sometimes and I am learning little by little NOT to do that. Smile and dance and just take each day as it comes. Be happy and I always do that as much as I can. Life is so short. Sandy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful list Susan! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jane said...

Susan, that is so beautifully said. I needed that today. Thank you.
My T13 is up too!

Connie Barris said...

You could give this to your pastor and have him / her preach on it.. this was just super..
and you are right on when you said it's not always about forgiving but asking for forgivenes..

I can tell you that as a counselor a lot of pain goes on bec. people wait on someone to ask for forgiveness.. although, I walk them through healing with the reality that it may never come (that person coming forward asking for forgiveness), it would help the healing process so much on the receiving end...

Susan... thank you for this.. it was beautiful...

blessings

Tammy said...

Wow...wonderful, Susan.

I am so not there with all of these 13 things, but I believe in each one of them and inspired by them.

Thank you so much for sharing these. They truly would help each of us to "live a life well spent".

Heather said...

Sounds like you're well on your way. What a lovely, insightful list.

Love,
Heather

Melli said...

I DO think you've hit the nail on the head! If I were to make this list - without having read yours, mine would have contained much of the same ideas! WONDERFUL 13 Susan!

PDub said...

Susan, this post was beautiful. You have such great insight. I'm going to print this to read again and again.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this post! A Life Well Lived ... yes, indeed! :o)

Anonymous said...

Very well said! I loved reading it!

Talk..to..Grams said...

I loved your post !! This is so good!!
Grams

Amy L Buitendyk said...

Susan you are just amazing! The list is just fantastic!!!

Miss you,
Amy