
I did it! I finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I started this book about a month ago and put it down in favor of some others. I found it slow starting in the beginning, and a little hard to read occasionally as I tried to picture the Japanese town in which it takes place.
All in all I enjoyed this story of life as a Geisha in the 1930's, 40's, and 50's. It is amazing what these women endured as they entertained in Japan's tea rooms. This book is fictional, but reads as if it is a true memoir. In fact, I did a search and found that there are many many readers out there who think that the story is real. To write a memoir that is fictional but reads as a work of nonfiction is no easy task.
Here is my favorite quote from the book as Chiyo (later the Geisha, Nitta Sayuri), who is sold to an okiya to learn to be a geisha, planned to run away:
This was the moment when I began to understand how unaware I'd been--not only in planning to run away, but in everything. I'd never understood how closely things are connected to one another. And it isn't just the zodiac I'm talking about. We human beings are only a part of something very much larger. When we walk along, we may crush a beetle or simply cause a change in the air so that a fly ends up where it might never have gone otherwise. And if we think of the same example but with ourselves in the role of the insect, and the larger universe in the role we've just played, it's perfectly clear that we're affected every day by forces over which we have no more control than the poor beetle has over our gigantic foot as it descends upon it. What are we to do? We must use whatever methods we can to understand the movement of the universe around us and time our actions so that we are not fighting the currents, but moving with them.
Once again, I found myself considering another culture. Another set of beliefs and values. And I again find myself thinking about tolerance and love and just what my role is in the world.
Happy Reading!!
7 comments:
I loved Memoirs of a Geisha! I know that you probably don't need any more books to read, but these 2 have really impacted me. Life of Pi by Yann Martel is my #1 favorite book... it's about an Indian boy who gets shipwrecked in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger for company. But, it's about much more than that- in fact in the prologue, the author insinuates it will make you believe in God. I could go on and on but I'll stop and just say that you should read it. DS1 has read it too, at my prompting and also really enjoyed it. 2, The Poisonwood Bible. It's my mom's favorite and my #2. It's about a Baptist family that embarks on a year-long mission trip to the Congo during the 60s and is marrated from the points of view of the mother and her four daughters. Again, it really demonstrates the reality of faith and also examines another culture. Best wishes!!
-Leah
I am a bit behind on my blog reading... didn't you change your design just a bit? It looks great. I really loved this book, too.
Aaah! You DID it! YAY! Well, I'm glad you did! And SOMEday I may finish Kite Runner too... SOMEday...
I notice up above "anonymous" recommended Life Of Pi to you... I read that. Let me know if you DO read it -- I would LOVE to have your opinion on the ending!
I still havent seen the movie. I love the culture and history of the geisha. I might just have to read it instead of seeing it LOL
Thanks for visiting my blog :D
Oh I've always wanted to read this, and the Pi book that Anonymous mentioned.
Okay...now you are making me regret givng the book away :) .... for as you know I just love those books that help us alter our perspective about another culture.
P.S.....I have heard that Life of Pi is an excellent book.
Post a Comment