More Info About Me

Friday, May 26, 2006

A Reminder....

I didn't need anything to remind me just how special it is being a Mom this week. I have had plenty to keep this at the forefront of my thoughts. But I got a reminder anyway....

Last night, I watched a dear friend in pain over some choices her child is making. I sat with her and tried to help her process what was happening. I tried to think about what I would do in her situation...I can honestly say I don't know the answer. She is a single mother doing the best she can to raise this child in a loving Christian home. And her child doesn't see it. I don't think she needed "answers" from me...more a listening ear.

Of course our children all go through times when they think we are the WORST parents in the world. I try to tell my boys that contrary to what they (or their friends) might believe, parents do NOT sit around and ask themselves: "So, how can I make this one miserable this week?" We are all doing the best we can. Sometimes we do well and sometimes we don't.

I guess the reminder I got through my friend's pain is just how blessed I am that my children are making good choices right now. It also helped me whisper a prayer of thanks for my dh who helps me do the parenting in our family. I know being single can make it much more difficult. It's tiring and can make you grow weary.

My friend is kind of at the opposite end of the parenting continuum from where I am this week....I've been on the "UPside" of the experience and she is not. And truly if she didn't love her child it wouldn't hurt her so much and be so painful.

I was reminded how deep the love the parents that I know have for their children. And I was reminded that sometimes parents just need to wrap themselves in the arms of the ultimate parent, God, and let Him hold us as we walk the journey of parenting our children.

No comments: