More Info About Me

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Book Review: New Moon

As some of you know, I have been reading the Twilight series with several of my colleagues at work. We're all at various stages of the books, but it has been fun to have a common book that we can talk about. I still have not seen the movie, but plan to go over the holiday break.

I finished the second book more than a week ago. I am just now getting around to reviewing it here.

I still cannot believe that I am actually enjoying a series about vampires! I mean this is so FAR OUT of my normal reading it's not even funny! I know some people think it's "light reading"---and there is no question that it is being publicized in the teen/young adult market---but I really like the ways Meyer has parallel stories happening with her characters. I also like some of what I consider deeper lessons that are found inside these books.

This book, while still a good read, differs greatly from Twilight. First of all, Edward and his family of vampires are absent for most of the chapters. Bella is dealing with this loss for much of the book. Meyer takes the opportunity to really delve into the character of Jacob, Bella's best friend. It is here where the reader learns that Jacob is a werewolf. I like this reviewer's quote:

The pain that Bella feels when Edward abandons her is extremely well written and is really what this story is about. Most of the things that happen to Bella in New Moon are as a result of the overwhelming loss that she is trying to bear. Her friendship with Jacob has a doomed quality to it not only because he obviously loves her while she is in love with Edward but because he is a werewolf and he naturally hates all vampires.

As their friendship deepens, so does the tension of Bella caught between two conflicting worlds. One reviewer notes the obvious parallels between this story and that of Romeo and Juliet....which Bella also references several times throughout the story. Sadly, I think this may be a comparison lost on most teen readers.

While there were times during this book that I wanted to skim to move the story along, I am glad I stayed with it. At the writing of this review, I am half way into book 3, and I must say that I'm almost dreading book 4 because I know that's the "end" of it.

Interestingly enough, Twilight showed up in the Scholastic Book Club magazine for young readers last month. I certainly think it's an appropriate teen read...and really the first book "could" be read by middle schoolers. BUT I think as the series progresses it is really more appropriate for high school and up. Yet, as romances go, it is "quite clean" as well.

I am anxious to finish the series over the holiday. Until then...happy reading!!




4 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

As always, a great review. My Suzy (child librarian highly recommends the books.) Maybe after the holiday push I'll tackle them.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My girl LOVES the series, and I felt weird about it, but at 16, I let her make some of her own decisions and then talk about it with her. But if you say you thought it was appropriate, I know it is. I need to read the first book.

Anonymous said...

I was just talking yesterday with the woman at the bookstore and she said that New Moon was hard for her to get through and not as good as the others....I still haven't started it so I only read portions of your post. However, she said that Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are just as fabulous as the first one (which I am guessing you have read those already). My daughter read half way through Twilight and may or may not finish it. She is middle school age and not quite into even the slightest hint of 'romance' yet (thank goodness). However, even for me there were things in Twilight that - the protective mom I am in wanting to 'delay' my child's entrance into the world of romance - felt uncomfortable that we were reading the same thing...but that's just me. I think it is an awesome series for most people and like you say - it is a 'clean' read so far.

Linda said...

Thanks for the positive review of this series. This is a movie that was not on my "must see" list. I may have to reconsider.