I love to watch movies, but don't get to do it enough. When the kids were little, it was easy to pick movies to watch with them. Now, though, I find myself struggling with which movies to watch together. I don't like a ton of blood, guts, and violence. It can't be too sappy or it only belongs in the "pink room" and not as a family flick. And, I really hate it when they have too much language...although I understand SOME of that.
I often read blogs that talk about watching a movie as a family. Remember that my youngest is 9 and then it's teens and young adults...we really DO span the ages. So, I thought I'd pose the question...what are your family's favorite movies to watch together that aren't animated films?
I'll be back to check in later.
10 comments:
I am no help because my kids haven't even seen a PG movie yet. And, I am sure your boys wouldn't be interested in any G rated princess movies.
What about Star Wars movies? ET? I am not too up to date with more recent flicks.
"My Dog Skip" is the GREATEST movie ever!!! It is a little intense at parts, but I think a 9 yr old boy could handle it.
"Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" was good - a kid movie with a deeper lesson for those who are older.
"Nim's Island" was good, but with a girl lead. (Don't know if boys would mind).
Lots of Christmas movies this time of year to watch as a family, ELF, Miracle on 34th Street, et al.
That's all I can think of quickly, if I come up with more, I'll come back.
Sus,
I want to respond to your Wednesday Blog, where you discussed the issue of the dreaded "Game Miser".
I long time back I heard a qoute that I have never forgotten. In fact it has helped me deal with many "Small Thinking" people over the years.
The Quote: "You're only as big as the smallest thing that bothers you".
I hope you'll put this in your "Memory Bank" for future use and to help others see that sometimes we make too much out of very small issues.
I love your tenacity. I wonder where you got that trait?
Love Ya'!
Dad
Oh boy... Your dad just knocked me on my butt! Thanks Dad! I'm about this [.] big. Why does that man always have something WISE to say???
I have NO advice for your movies... you know that.
Have you all seen Kung Fu Panda yet? Ross and I watched and really enjoyed it, even though it was animated. We also saw Prince Caspian this past weekend. I feel completely out of touch with nine year olds/ movies they would be watching, but it was a good, fun, clean movie. I felt like it had a really great message, I actually got more spiritual insight out of that one than the first Narnia movie. Hopefully that helps some!
There's not much to do here and we rent movies from our redbox a lot ($1/ night rentals, new releases, found in Walmart). I'll let you know if we see any others that are good/ we think would be family friendly.
We sometimes struggle with this since we have two little girls (sensitive ones- and three, counting me!) ;) and what can we watch that Daddy will also half-way like?
But Christmas movies this month are always so good- even the old classics can be appreciated sometimes by all ages and genders.
We probably personally won't be watching Prince Caspian only because I read where there is SO much battle in it...but with your family of boys, they probably could handle it- and get a good message in the process! (We did love the first Narnia!)
On a side note because I know your boys definitely won't be watching this...hee hee...we watched the new Tinkerbell movie and I must say, I was surprised how much I liked it, too! (And don't tell anyone, but my hubby sat down with the girls as a nice daddy and was able to stay put through most of it- which is saying a lot!) :)
For me and my family, the fav non-animated is "RV" with Robin Williams. There is some language, but it is mostly pretty good.
DITTO on the Prince Caspian movie!
Enchanted was hilarious...my oldest *boy* was amused how Disney made fun of themselves regarding the princessy stuff. lol
Elf
Nacho Libre
Napolean Dynomite
Babe
But really, I hesitate suggesting movies cause every has such different tastes & sense of humors. lol
OH...The Outsiders, Stand By Me--(foul language, ds says a ton), Goonies---hhhheeeeyyy yyyyyoooouuu gggguuuuyyyss! lol
Don't know if I would have the nine year old watch this movie but I absolutely love the movie The Bucket List....yes it does have a lot of language but I just love the theme.
We also liked Christmas with the Kranks.
Post a Comment