More Info About Me

Friday, December 21, 2007

What a day...

Have you ever read Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day? Yesterday could have classified right up there for my DS 4.

Everything was going fine at school when our Assistant Principal came over the intercom and called a "Code Red--full lockdown" at 1:15pm. We all knew this was no drill. When we go into full lockdown we have to lock the doors, sit quietly on the floor, and wait. Teachers email in and tell the office who is in their room so they can find extra students and notify them of missing students. Yesterday we waited and waited and waited. We could hear the police helicopter hovering above our school. One teacher used her cell phone to text message her family and found out there had been a bank robbery in our area and the suspect was running around our school.

After an hour, they came on the intercom and announced they were looking for two students and to "check our email". It turned out they were also looking for three teachers. Finally, they went to a code white---this means we still stay locked in and no movement on campus--but we could show a movie and/or teach.

Knowing that my DS 4 is a nervous child (somewhat like his Mother) I went to him as soon as they lifted the lockdown a few minutes later. We were supposed to leave campus for an appointment, but I had to cancel it due to being stuck in the school. I signed DS 4 out and we left early hoping it would help him decompress.

On the way home, the neighborhood was still swarming with police as they have not located this suspect yet. We went another way home and found ourselves involved in a traffic accident! A girl pulled out in front of a police car and several other vehicles. She collided with the police car, and slid into my bumper. Thank goodness everyone was fine, but you can imagine my DS 4 since he's never been involved in anything like that.

Since there were so many police in the area, in minutes there were 8 police cars, a fire truck, a rescue squad and a community service vehicle stopped for us. I stayed in my car with DS 4 and he read a book as soon as he could settle down a bit.

Knowing he needed to decompress even more now...I bought him McDonalds...and took him home. I went to workout and upon my return, DS 4 went into his room to find his goldfish dead. We tried to tell him that they were "old"--especially for fair goldfish. He and DH decided that "maybe" the goldfish would revive with a little more oxygen in the water, so they decided to try letting him stay in there overnight. (Sometimes you just have to go with their little minds, you know?)

DS 4 and I sat down to read and he said, "I just need this day to start over!" I explained that some days are like that.

DH helped DS 4 bury the fish this morning, but not before DS 4 carried it gingerly around my house on top of a towel for us all to say our "goodbyes".

So, here we are, on the last day of school before the winter break and I am hoping and praying that it's just another "ordinary day"...at least for DS 4.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Definitely a rough day all the way around. I pray that today goes a bit more smoothly for you. Although I haven't been through a 'lock down' I have been through the burying of a goldfish won at the fair...and the burying of our beloved Guinea Pig Leo. Very heartbreaking indeed. Hugs to you and your family.

The Bipolar Diaries

Tammy said...

Oh Susan...(((HUGS))) what a stressful day! I felt so sorry for you all- especially your son. Poor guy!
I didn't know school was still in session...(do you get two weeks off?) Anyway, hopefully this weekend will be much better!

And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Susan!

Mary Jo said...

(((((HUGS))))) to your son. I know that it must hard on his little mind to comprehend that whole day. Bless his heart. I'm saying aprayer for him now.

Love you my friend.
Merry Christmas.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Even kids have to realize what REAL LIFE is like anymore!! I think that is too bad but in time we all have to understand how life works. It is not pretty most of the time too!! I just hope that DH4 Is tons better today and that there will be better days ahead. Sometimes i wish that we as parents could keep them naive for a long time but that would not be right. Just hate to see them grow up into this terrible world. Sandy

samurai said...

Wow... oraying for a more relaxing weekend for you and your son...

May the spirit of God's perfect peace fallupon you and your family...

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a very stressful day. I'm a little stressed just thinking about it.

I'm glad you are both ok after that little incident. Those are scary no matter how little damage is done. I finally got my car back as good as new :)

Hope today went well for you. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Melli said...

... even in Australia. I just read that book to Luz YESTERDAY! Wow! Poor DS4... Maaaaaan I hate code reds! I've only experienced ONE and it was for verrrrrry much the same reason that you did! Eventually the guys were apprehended... but not before 650 elementary school kids were completely FRAZZLED! I am just sO sorry that DS4 annnnnnd you had to go through it! ( i think i would have been making an overnight trip to the pet store after he was asleep - to find the mOst identical goldfish i could possibly find!) LOL!

Baba said...

Hi Susan, your day was exciting , but not in a fun way..I am glad you and DS4 are not hurt from your car mishap!! Hoping the week-end goes well and you can recover before Christmas..Give DS4 a hug from me.

Jill said...

Oh my! Glad you are all safe! Maybe Santa will bring another fish? <{:o> Marry Christmas to you all.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

The poor little guy! My heart breaks for him. What an awful day!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May our world this coming year, and all the years to come, be blessed with peace, love, joy and bountiful blessings.