More Info About Me

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Film at Eleven...

Sometimes I have trouble finding things to blog about, then sometimes the deluge hits and I have to decide WHICH thing to post. This week has been full of things to share. I must say that the honor for best blog fodder this week goes to my FIL (who may just be vying for "Grandfather of the Year").

Monday, I ate with DSs 1 and 3 while DH was out flying, DS 2 was at something for school and DS 4 was at soccer. I like these dinners. I usually find out things that I never knew about my crazy family. This meal did NOT disappoint me!

DS 1 showed up and told us he'd been at "airband rehearsal" with DS 2 and their GRANDFATHER at the high school. I said, "HUH?" I was sure I hadn't heard him correctly. I mean, what grandparent wants to be in the same room with loud music and a bunch of louder teens? DS 1 assured me that it was true and I remembered that Grandpa DOES wear hearing aids that can be turned down. Then he said, "He's hilarious, Mom!"

I don't think I've ever blogged it before, but Grandpa can stand on his head. All of my boys think this is pretty cool and they often will stop by my in-laws home with their friends to show them "Grandpa's trick". (Letterman's 'Stupid Pet Tricks' has nothing on THIS family!) I guess DS 2 decided that he wanted Grandpa to introduce his airband act at the high school show to the audience while standing on his head! I think, however, it mushroomed from there into an entire skit.

Grandpa, come on...tell me in all those years of working in education AND raising YOUR children, you didn't learn to say NO! I know, I know it all flies right out the window the minute your name changes from "Dr. ____" or "Dad" to "Grandpa", right??

DS 1 gave me a visual that I shall not soon forget. Grandpa didn't just show up as a "plain clothed" AARP member...nope...he showed up in long underwear with Christmas boxers over the top AND a towel wrapped around his head!! (I later asked my DH if he thought WE'D be doing crazy stunts in front of our grandchildren and their friends...I'm hoping sure these are genes my DH didn't end up receiving.)

When I arrived home after dinner, DS 2 was at the house with two girls who are also in the show. They were going into the bathroom with DSs clothes, coming out and asking, "NOW do I look like a boy?" I told you life just happens around me sometimes...I mean, I just live there. As soon as we had L looking like a boy...they came out and asked me, "Mrs. N. have you seen your DS 2's costume?" With fear and trepidation (remember I already know what Grandpa is wearing--so DS 2 must have been in line with that) I said no. All at once I had three cell phones in my face with pictures of my MASCULINE DS 2 in a beautiful tea length black dress. I felt a longing for my PINK room...but now I'm not so sure I'd be alone in there. He might just sneak in with me!

Anyway, back to Grandpa...

He apparently pulled off his part of the show with great finesse and received RAVE reviews from the audience at the Tuesday night performance.

By Wednesday, he went from hilarity to "hero" as he worked with DS 2 to save his rear end with some huge project that was due the next day. Did I mention that he also helped DS 2's friend K? And, while helping kids is a noble thing...the fact that the help lasted from the mid-afternoon until 5:15AM the next morning is the crazy amazing part. It turns out that Grandpa pulled an all nighter with the boys to help them finish their projects.

DH asked DS 2 "What happened that made this a last minute project that had to be completed with an all nighter?" DS 2 said, "MY part was done by 1:30AM. It was K's part that needed to be done all night." Oh well, now, THAT changes everything!

So the top contestant for Grandfather of the Year was pretty perky when I called him today to ask if DS 4 can stay with them while DH and I go to the Debutante Ball on Saturday. I guess that's a pretty easy "gig" after his week with my older son...I mean, he won't have to stand on his head AND he'll be able to sleep!

Thanks, Grandpa, you're the greatest! (And, aren't you glad we live so close? Who ever thought we'd be having this much fun nine years later? I mean there's NEVER a dull moment with my guys around.)

You can come sit with me in the pink room when I get it! ;-)

P.S. I think I'd be remiss if I didn't also give a shout-out to Grandma who is always standing by watching these shenanigans with great support and the much-loved food for the troops!

8 comments:

kt said...

What a GREAT guy!!! How sweet! :-D

Mary Jo said...

Aw! What a great grandpa! That was sweet! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful grandpa!!

Are we related?? That sounds like something that would happen in my family.

Melli said...

HOOOOOOO YA! & Whooooo hooo! Grandpa gets MY vote!!! And I bet he got Grandma's vote too!!! And Susan... I think those genes mighta hopped over DH and right into YOU!

Bob said...

Speaking as a granddad, I can say the sacrifice is standard fare, but standing on his head? Wow!!!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

See we grandparents can be fun too!! We may be old but we still know how to have fun!! I am so happy that Gpa did this for his grandkids!! They will always remember this and have great memories of Gpa!! Wonderful!!
Sandy
PS yes I love Sci-fi and even some horror ones, there is really not a lot of movies that I "don't" like...

Anonymous said...

Dear All,

As the Grandpa mentioned in this blog, I feel I should "clarify" a point or two.

First, I do not spoil my 8 grands. However, I do tend to encourage them, share time with them, and -- on ocassion -- spend a lot of money on them. All of that is part of the "Divinely Ordained Grandparent Code" and I cannot risk losing my membership in that stately and august organization!

Second, my all night assistance consisted of preparing Chai tea (times 3), reading and making suggestions for edits in their papers, nuking Grandma's Chicken-ala-Queen for Two (at 2:00 a.m.), working on citations and footnotes, somewhat gently letting them know they shouldn't have waited so long to do their papers, and showing them that I was working them under the table!

Third, the Chicken-ala-Queen for two came after Mama's Pizza (a local legend) for a late afternoon snack, and dinner consisting of cichken stuffed shells, chicken & dumplings, ravioli, honey crunch chicken, and chicken sausage. All of this from Grandma's Kitchen. (Observation: Grandson 2 and K resemble a rather large hoard of locusts!)

Fourth, I wore long underwear with Christmas boxers over them; and I also wore a tank top shirt. I didn't want you to think I wore the shorts as my top. I know how to dress better than that! :)

Fifth, I had to wear that outfit as the only (ONLY) Master Christmas Yoga Instructor in Sarasota. And, as I was going to enter into my famous SOMH position, I had to have the audience help me concentrate by repeating "ooommm" "ooommmm". [BTW -- what does SOMH mean? Answer later.]

Sixth, I do not understand Susan's reference to "Letterman's 'Stupid Pet Tricks'" -- nor do I care for an explanation!

Seventh, I am a Certified AOTA, which I assume is one reason I was asked to do the introduction. AOTA means "Announcer of Talent Acts. Actually, that was a problem because Grandson 2 and Z didn't have any talent!

Eight, actually, they do have talent. In fact, I admitted that Grandson 2 had talent as a cross dresser. (Although I wish I had mentioned that when he did the summersault in his tea length black dress he should have been wearing panty hose.)

Thank you for letting me set the record straight.

Merry Christ,

Reverend, Dr., Dad, Master Christmas Yoga Instruction, Certified, AOTA Grandpa

PS: SOMH means (are you ready for this?) Standing On My Head!

Anonymous said...

What a fun grandad! I bet your boys think the world of him!