More Info About Me

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Nativities 102

I promised to share my other Nativities for some of you. I considered not doing it since it's like someone showing a bunch of pictures of their grandchildren. But I don't know that I've ever really chronicled each one and its story. So, I've elected to continue....

This is my piano that holds five of our nativities. From the left, the first one is a Precious Moments. The one in the center is pretty unique. It is motion censored and recites Luke 2 while playing Silent Night when activated (we keep it off most of the time). The two hanging ornaments have nativities inside them. The next one is an African one followed by a beautiful handcarved music box. All of these lay on a lace Nativity runner that my Stepmother bought for me several years ago.
The porcelain nativity above is the one that started it all. We were given this one by a couple in one of our first churches. She made her own porcelain figurines and he made the creche. The pieces are very delicate and small. We have had this Nativity since 1990. (Note: this one and the one below it sit in my china cabinet...so you can see the ceramic piggy bank my Mom made me when I was a child. It has NOTHING to do with the nativity next to it.)
The Nativity below is the one that DH and I bought when we first married. It is 20 years old.The olive wood nativity below was purchased for me by DH in Israel. He was given this trip by the masons when he was new in ministry. It was a very special thing for him to walk where Jesus walked. I loved getting this treasure upon his return.
Below on the left is the nativity that we purchased in Mexico on our first cruise. It sits above our snowman collection. In the picture on the right, you can see a Department 56 nativity. Underneath it is one that my in-laws gave me for Christmas last year.

Since I am certain that you could be asleep by now...I'll only share two more. The nativities below are in my kitchen. The one in the top photo is my new Jim Shore one. I LOVE his work! The one on top of my fridge is a cookie jar.


I'm glad you came to visit my house today. I hope you enjoyed your little tour.

11 comments:

Baba said...

Hi Susan, I love all of your nativity sets... I got one today from Walmart and it has a tiny baby Jesus that I can remove from his bed...I only have two; not as many as you..

Thanks for my birthday wish... It is hard to keep up with everyone's birthday's..

Are you ready for Christmas?? Not me , I don't think I will ever be ready this year..It has taken me a long time to get in the spirit of things...Tomorrow I will shop some more!!! I need to wrap as I go...

Have a great week at work and I will post a picture of my nativity set soon. Hugs, Baba

Melli said...

I LOVE viewing ALL your Nativity sets! I just wish they were clickable so I could see the bigger version and look at them really well!!! (LOL! I always want MORE, don't I???) Shame on me....

Heather said...

How pretty! I loved seenig that we have a few decorations in common, and I've always admired your set from the Holy Land. How beautiful.

One of these days, when cash flow isn't an issue, I'm going to get you a copy of MY favorite set.

Your house looks so festive!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow Girlfriend, you certainly have some really unique nativities. Thank you for the tour. When the kids were teens they would "doctor" up the nativity set...I never knew what I would find. I think it will probably be my Monday Memory today.

heidi @ ggip said...

I really like the olivewood one, and I am SURE my mom would LOVE it and oo and ahh over it!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Beautiful collection. I only have two but my first one has always been special to me since i have had it since something like 1951...back in the horse and buggy days (I think you would think)!! I loved seeing all of these and was not one bit bored..smile..

Sandy

Tammy said...

So beautiful...thank you for sharing these wonderful Nativities!

samurai said...

Those are some really cool nativities! I love your sharing them, and thanks!

We have one that was my wife's family's. I'd love to start such a collecvtion of my own...

Linda said...

You have a beautiful collection!! I put very little out this year. Am I turning into Scrooge!

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy the tour!! I love the memories/family history behind every nativity scene...I especially like the motion sensor one. My daughter has always feared the Precious Moments character....the eyes always frightened her. I will have to analyze the psychology behind that one day ;)
The Bipolar Diaries

Anonymous said...

I love seeing these. You could go on and on all day and I'd still be here.

I really like the Jim Shore one.