I was trying to think of a good memory to share. Then I went to Lazy Daisy's place last night and read her memory of a church nursery nightmare. It reminded me of some of the funny stories I have had in church nurseries and Sunday School with my own kids. So.......
Did I ever tell you about the time my DS 2 fired his Sunday School teacher?
DH and I had just been appointed to a new church. We had two young sons at the time (ages 5 and almost 4). The almost-4-year-old went to Sunday School one week not long after we arrived at this church. The teacher came up to DH and I after church and said, "I need to talk to you about M." This always made me cringe because he was a bit strong-willed as a toddler. She continued, "He got upset with me in class today." I still can't remember exactly WHAT he was upset about...but it really doesn't matter. She said, "He looked at me and said, 'My Dad's the boss of this church and he's going to fire you!'"
Now you or I might have told a young mother this story with a smile. It IS kind of funny, if you think about it. She wasn't happy though. She was a bit older and really seemed to be from the "children were to be seen and not heard" era. OK, maybe she wasn't quite that bad...but it seemed like it to me.
The young pastor's wife turned beet red and pictured the next Staff Parish meeting where they decided that DH just wasn't a good "fit" for this place! It didn't happen (thank goodness).
4 comments:
That is a hoot! Being a PK is hard enough but being a PS (preacher's spouse) is hard too sometimes.
When someone laughingly commented on our son's behavior, I told them they were that way because they play with their children!
Great story. I used to hear that thing about children being seen and not heard only it didn't have that effect on me.
Blessings to you!
Little kids just say what they think..so what!!?? I think it is cute!! She should have thought that too but then again maybe she was from that generation. My Monday Memories is FINALLY UP!! I had such a busy Sunday that I could not get it up like usual. Take care and have a good day..Sandy
Been there - my dad was a pastor so we had some rough things to say about our 'teachers' and parishoners at times. I'm sure he could relate to this story and tell a few of his own!
Post a Comment