More Info About Me

Monday, October 30, 2006

Just What IS Public Service????

I witnessed a car accident today. One car turned right without even stopping for the red light that was in front of her. She kind of "eased" into the road and the other car that was in front of me (with the green light) tried to move away from the car, but couldn't. It was almost like watching slow motion.

I pulled right behind the two cars as they pulled over. I got out of my car and soon discovered that these were very senior citizens. The front car (the one who doesn't understand red lights) lady asked me, "Why are we stopped?" I told her that she hit the car that was now behind her when she didn't stop at the light. She said, "Do you think I'll need my insurance card?" I told her I was certain someone would want her card because that car didn't have a front bumper anymore.

In the second car, was a couple. She immediately pulled out a plastic envelope filled with papers. I have to be honest I wondered if she'd done this a time or two. I asked them if they were OK and she said yes. She asked me if I saw the accident. I told her I did. She immediately handed me a card from her neat little packet and said, "Would you fill this out?" It was a "Witness Card" to be given to anyone at an accident who said they saw it.

I went back to my car and dialed 9-1-1. Enter Public Service.

The lady at 911 asked me a ton of questions. I told her I saw the accident, no one was hurt, yes the cars were damaged, no there was no power line down, no there was no leakage from the cars....she told me she'd send a public service aide right out.

And we waited. I had a meeting at 4:00 across town. I was obviously going to be late for it. We waited for almost 20 minutes. I called 911 back and asked them if I was OK leaving. She was a bit short with me, but said I could leave as long as I had given them my information. I let the people in both cars know that I was leaving and that someone would be right along.

In the meantime, I called my FIL who I knew was going to be in that area when he picked my DS 4 up from school. He went by there at 4:15 and there was still not a Public Service Aide there. These senior citizens had been sitting in their hot cars for close to 45 minutes! He called 911 to follow-up and the operator was not so friendly.

About that time, an undercover police officer showed up and took care of it.

I'm glad he showed up....I just have to wonder WHAT and WHERE was the public service? Should these people have had to wait so long in their hot cars for help? Should they have been left there on the side of the road without anyone else there? I think response time is important. I realize there could have been other things happening, but we don't live in a tiny town. There should be more than ONE person to respond. I was disappointed and surprised by the amount of time that passed before these people saw anyone besides me or my FIL. That is just not right!!

What do you think is fair "wait time" in this type of situation?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

S...I agree that the wait time was ridiculous, especially considering those involved. Your town is filled with senior citizens, especially this time of year. Accidents probably are even on the rise due to our winter visitors, as mentioned on the news in Naples when I was there. I think 20 mins is reasonable...but not much more than that. Maybe a "letter to the editor" or some kind of public forum would help. I'm sure your consideration for those involved was greatly appreciated.
LY...C

Jane said...

That is totally outrageous. I can't believe it.....well, yeah I can. I am glad you were there to help.

Karla said...

Wow.
When I lived in Charlotte (a rather large city, at least by NC standards) and was in a bump-up a little outside of town, it took probably no more than 15-20 minutes for a policeman to get there.
It would be amazing! if public safety could get there in, like, 5 minutes, but 45??? C'mon people!
Yeah, there was no service in that public service.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Gracious...that is a LONG time to wait especially when it is HOT and I bet it was HOT!! That is very wrong!! At least you stayed as long as you did!! knowing you you would stay like that!!
We are on our way to Va to see Lazy Daisy. Be there tomorrow. Yeah!!Sandy