More Info About Me

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Timely and TRUE

My cousin, Lynn, over at Seeking Thin Spaces sent me this link today (click the title of this entry). The article is really timely in light of my last two posts. Sara Groves is talking about being gripped by fear after the birth of her son:

I told a girlfriend, "If something happens to Kirby [her son], I don't know if my faith will survive." I realized if I could envision a scenario in which my faith wouldn't survive, then it wasn't surviving now.

I love this insight that Sara Groves offers as she thinks about how circumstances can bring doubt about:

Michael Card, in his wonderful book A Sacred Sorrow, says doubts are actually a profound statement of faith because they're a person saying she won't let go of a good God in the face of the profound evil she's seeing.

Sara goes on to say:

I've come to see that's the good news. Despite our depravity and selfishness, God uses us to heal this broken world. That's pretty amazing.

Yes, it IS AMAZING!! I have seen it over and over in each painful situation that I have been aware of this week...FAITH....true testimonies to the greatness of God....

Thanks, Lynn (and thanks Sara)!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

You're welcome. I thought of you as I was reading the article and then I read your post, so I knew I was supposed to send it to you.....you even pulled out the quotes that struck me the most(particularly the one from Michael Card). I agree that God allows painful things to happen in our lives, but I don't always understand them....some are harder to wrap my mind around....like my mom, or someone like Missey. I know they make me grateful and appreciative of the times you do have with someone because you don't know when you might not have them. I also agree that such situations stretch your faith and you become more mature in your walk with God.

Ladybug Crossing said...

People think there are many blessings that come out of tragedy - I often believe that we are more open to seeing the blessings after or during a tough time. When things are good, we get complacent and forget to look for the gifts being bestowed upon us.

LadyBug
PS the mission trip is to Sheboygan MI.

Susan said...

Thanks, Lynn and Ladybug. You are right, there ARE blessings that come out of tragedy and praise God for that.

Hope the Spaghetti dinner went over big....it really looked and sounded YUMMY! I'll be praying for the youth trip.