More Info About Me

Monday, March 20, 2006

Monday Memory

Many of the blogs I read include a Monday Memory. There's evidently a code, but when I click on the link for the code, it says "bad URL". So I thought....hey, you can do a "Monday Memory" without the cute graphics....drumroll please....Here's MY FIRST MONDAY MEMORY!


Did I ever tell you when I learned the phrase: "Stay RIGHT There!"

I was almost four years old and living in Ohio with my Mom and Dad. Mom and I were going to go get Dad from work. He worked at GTE Data Services. The year was 1968 and it was the winter. I don't remember snow on the ground, but I do remember being bundled. I know there was at least ice out there...but I am getting ahead of myself.

Mom brought me out to the stoop...we don't call them that in Florida....but it's the steps and the landing that lead outside a door of your home. Ours was a small concrete landing with about three steps down to the ground. I don't know why, but Mom said, "STAY RIGHT THERE!" and she went on to the car and was going to come back up and help me.

I suppose even at this young age, I was a bit stubborn...OK a lot stubborn. I had an "I-can-do-it-myself-thank-you-very-much" attitude. And while she was turned around doing whatever she was doing, I took a step. That step was NOT a good decision. I split open the back of my head and had to go to the hospital to get stitches!

I still remember screaming. I still remember the feel of that hospital. It was kind of like being surrounded by terrazo floors, stainless steel, and lights. I remember there being a doctor and a nurse in there. I also remember my Dad meeting us over there at the hospital...luckily, his office was right in front of it.

I am sure that was the first of many times I didn't heed the words, "Stay right there"! Instead, I would set out to do whatever it was on my own.

Tonight, while in Target with ds 4, I realized that I have passed this same gene on to him. He insists on pushing the cart. I needed to get something and he was ahead of me...rather than having him back up the cart in the midst of people and displays, I said, "Stay right there!" He didn't. He insisted on turning around and following me. Luckily, his choice to move didn't cause him pain....but I am certain this may not always be true.

Then I thought to myself...I wonder how many times God has wanted me to "Stay"...."Rest"...."Stop"...."Wait"....and I have said, "No-thank-you-I-can-do-it-myself!" And even more than that, I wonder how many emotional falls down the stoop I could have avoided if I simply would have said, "OK"!

No comments: