Some of you read my post from a few days ago about David's car accident. That has been heavy on my heart this week. Someone said in the flurry of email we have received about this....that it must be "God's will."
Then, I ran into this blog last night. This is the blog of a lady who was a homeschooling Mom who was expecting her fifth child. She died during an emergency c-section. Her baby lived and has been named after her Mother. As I read the comments about Missey and her life, someone wrote, we don't always understand "God's will".
Then, I read a blog about someone who is afraid of flying. Since I deal with this same anxiety, I read more carefully. She said that she determined that if it was "God's will" that she crash, then she had to be "ok" with that.
I say NO, NO, NO!!! I simply can't believe that the same God who loves us with an everlasting and unconditional love would also "do" something so horrific to someone. God's will that a mother watches her son in a hospital bed after he is twisted around a tree? God's will that a mother not get to watch her FIVE young children grow up? God's will that the young children grow up without a MOTHER? God's will that a plane crash and kill all the people inside?
Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't line up?
Here's what I think. Unfortunately there is sin in the world. These things that happen are unexplainable sometimes. It "could" be the ripple effect of sin...it "could" be that it just happened because we are imperfect people living in an imperfect world. It could be that because we are not God's puppets and we have free will that "bad things do sometimes happen to good people."
What I KNOW and BELIEVE is that God will never leave us or forsake us. He CAN and DOES bring beauty from the ashes. He USES these situations to see HIS name glorified. I believe that He DOES work ALL things to the GOOD for those who LOVE HIM and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).
Finally, I don't think God needs to "give" us situations to exercise our faith in the form of "bad circumstances"...we are good enough at getting our own selves into situations.
I am NOT saying that any of the people above caused their great pain. And I believe that He is and will hold each person close to His heart as they go through their pain and fear.
God's will? In my opinion, it's that we LOVE HIM and those with whom we come in contact. God's will? That we glorify Him in the good and the bad. But I also think He loves us too much to cause the pain....He loves us too much to leave us during it.
And for that, I will be eternally grateful!!
5 comments:
I agree. God isn't cruel. He does smack us up side the head once in awhile if we need it, though!!
Thanks for dropping by!
LadyBug
I don't think we can ever have a complete understanding of pain and suffering this side of heaven. But I think one big piece of our frustration and confusion comes from a misunderstanding of time. Let me clarify... I was thinking about Missey - and how if God had asked her if she wanted to go Home and leave her babies - she probably would have said No Lord- please not yet. I couldn't imagine how she could truly have no tears in Heaven knowing her kids were down here growing up missing her... But then I thought about how a thousand years is as a day and a day is as a thousand years to the Lord. In light of infinity - it is less than an eyeblink before her family will be there with her.
Here we live in time and the suffering seems long - but once we're there... It will seem like it was but a moment. Like one of those shooting nerve spasms that makes you gasp and then it's gone. Know what I mean?
And after all, I think we forget all too often (and I very much include myself in this) that physical death is not the worst thing that can happen to a person.
I think that God does occasionally cause His children pain... much like we cause our children pain when we must chastise them or take them to the doctor for immunizations. To the child's perspective it's suffering and cruel - but we know it's for his or her good...
Okay - I've taken up enough space now. ;-)
I hear what you are saying and agree with both of your thoughts with the exception of God causing pain...
I still cannot picture God sitting up in Heaven saying, "Hmmm....she (or he) needs a lesson, so I am going to cause "this" bad thing to happen to her." Instead, I have to believe that God in his infinite wisdom sees yesterday, today and tomorrow and knows the choices we are going to make and THEN uses those things and their consequences to teach us.
Also, I believe there is a difference in "discipline" (and correction) and tragedy.
I also believe that our time on earth is a drop in the bucket compared to the time we will be together in heaven. Still...I cannot in my heart believe that God sat up in Heaven and said, "I'm going to take this woman's life tonight and leave her husband to raise their family alone." I DO believe that He is sitting there with her saying, "I PROMISE I will provide for them and be an everpresent help in this time of need."
Susan,
I'm the fearful flyer :) I don't neccessarily thinkg the God causes the pain, but I do believe He allows it, for our good. If we never have trials then how is our faith strengthened? Our faith is like our muscles, it must be worked to become stronger. I completely agree with you that God is all loving, kind, gentle and that He loves me with an everlasting love. As far as dying in a plane crash...I don't really believe that will happen but if it does...I have to trust HIM that he will care for my family. I know He will take me to heaven. I believe God is completely sovereign and nothing is out of His control wheather it is a tragic loss of a mother in child birth or a really scary plane ride and it is all for the good of His children.
Thanks for praying for me :) I'll let you know how it goes
Kathie
Allows it, yes. Causes it, as I said, I can't go for that. I am praying for you, Kathie. I know that you are getting ready to have a HUGE blessing in your family. And I believe that all will be well with your flight. I'm definitely praying for you.
Post a Comment