More Info About Me

Friday, January 28, 2011

A Whole New World


Wednesday nights are fast becoming one of my favorites.  Everyone has something to do that night, so the house is often quiet.  This past Wednesday, even DH was out, so it was REALLY quiet!  My solitude was interrupted when I heard the familiar ding of my cell phone.  It was crying out, “You have a text message!”  Knowing the kids are out, I went to check it and here’s what I saw on the screen:  


“Can you tell j not to pick me up with really embarissing music he embarrassed me infront all of my friends  (8:28pm)”

Literally as I clicked this first one open, the second one came…

“Can you call him now (8:28pm)”

So I called my DS 3 who was picking his 12 yo brother up after the basketball game at the middle school.  I said, “Can you please not embarrass your brother?  Can you turn your music down and try to remember what it was like being in middle school?”  He laughed and said, “OK, Mom!” 

The texts went quiet, so I assumed all was well.  When they returned home later that evening (after a trip to the local Chic-fil-a), DS 2 tells me another snippet of this story. 

When he drove into the busy parking lot at the middle school, he rolled down his windows, turned up the music and started singing at the top of his lungs.  Of all the songs he could have chosen, he chose to sing “A Whole New World” from Aladdin!  It is no WONDER DS 4 texted with such vigor!  They were both laughing about it by the time I heard this portion of the story.  I posted it as my Facebook status and left well enough alone!

The next day, my friend Kelly saw me at work and hollered at me to come over.  She said, “I’ve got to tell you something!”  Kelly proceeded to tell me that she and her husband were at the game watching her nephew play and happened to be in the parking lot when this car pulled in blaring “A Whole New World”.  She recognized my DS 3 and his brother although she was about 10 cars away! 

Kelly says she and her husband laughed about it the rest of the night—after SHE sang along with DS 3 for a few minutes unbeknownst to him! 

I told her my perspective of the story and we both had a good laugh over it.  She came back today to tell me that her husband was still laughing about it and couldn’t get the song out of his head all day yesterday!

I’m reminded that every action we take has a ripple effect.  And I’m thankful that this one has left smiles on so many faces (including DS 4’s)! 

Secretly I want to sing to HIM my response to his embarrassment: “Don’t you dare close your eyes!  Hold your breath-it gets better!”   


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan! He must have just wanted to curl up in a shell and crawl away! I can so picture this and now I can't get the song out of my head. Glad it gave you guys a good laugh! I wonder what it will be next time???

Susan said...

My brother is trying to "help" J and posted Juice Newton singing "Angel of the Morning" on his wall as a suggestion. I think DS 4 will DIE if that happens!