More Info About Me

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Open Doors

Last week I had to spend a couple of days in Tampa with my Mom.  She had some doctor's appointments and on Friday, had surgery to remove a lump in her breast.  (I am so thankful that it came back benign!)  While at the hospital on Friday, DS 2 came and went with me to lunch.  I threw something in the side of my van before we left and distinctly remember pushing the lock twice to get it to "beep".

When DS 2 and I returned, I glanced over at my van and saw the side door open.  My heart sank!  My computer, Mom's purse, and other valuables were in that van before I left.  I stared at the open door with a zillion thoughts running through my head starting with, "OH NO!  THIS is going to be a process!"  With extreme pessimism I approached the car.  We were, after all, in the middle of Tampa near the University Campus.  When I rounded the corner of the parking space, I could see the tote bag with computer and purse inside.  And finally, I breathed!

Fast forward to today.  Last night when I went to bed, DSs 1 and 3 were out with friends as there was no school today.  Well, DS 1 doesn't have school...but he didn't have anything else today either.  I was the first one up because I DID have to work.  6:15 came early.  I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and went out to our living room where I noticed how dark the house was.  (Normally there's a light on somewhere.)  I was suddenly drawn to the front door where the street light was shining through a crack.  It wasn't a crack that is normally there.  The front door was open.  About 12 inches!

A familiar feeling overcame me.  The heart sank.  I thought about waking DH up...but decided against it.  Instead I went to check that all kids were in their beds.  Check.  Nothing appeared touched.  We appeared alone.  The only thing moving was our little cat who was adamantly staring out our BACK sliding glass door. As I relaxed I remembered that the bigger cat LOVES to escape.  I followed little kitty to the back door and there, staring from the porch was the escape artist.  I opened it and let him in.  (It turns out the lock had a problem and didn't catch when one of the boys came home and locked it.)

While reflecting later on my drive to work, I thought about both scenes.  Both doors open when they should have been secure.  Both caused a momentary panic.  And both ended up just fine.

 I am reminded just how many times doors that seemingly should be shut in our lives suddenly are found open.  And I think the natural human tendency is that fear keeps us from moving through them.  Yet, so many times we DO peek inside or even step inside to find that all is well.  While I'd like to find no more physical doors in my life open when they aren't supposed to be, I DO hope that the next time one of life's doors opens for me I step through it without fear and discover something wonderful on the other side!

1 comment:

allie. said...

Hmm I love it when the everyday things of life spring into new meaning like little modern day parables, don't you?

So glad your Mom is ok - that must have a been difficult time for a while.