More Info About Me

Monday, January 17, 2011

12 Again...

I often have teased my boys over the years that I've been through ____ grade five times (once when I did it and once for each of them).  Now that LG is in our family, some grades will be SIX times for me.  Today I was thinking that ages aren't much different.  I remember turning 12.  I remember BEING 12.  I remember wanting to be older and be able to do things my older friends did.  I remember being in turmoil emotionally and going from happy-go-lucky to woe-is-me in a split second.  In some ways, the boys haven't gone through 12 like I did.  Yet some other pieces are very familiar. Adolescence is adolescence.  I started my "fifth time through 12 today" with DS 4's birthday.

I've shared on my blog before about the surprise he was to me (and to us).  And he, too, has had some rough days of adolescence that seem to define the tween and early teen years for so many.  Lately though, I've had glimpses of something more.  I've seen glimpses of a young man emerging where a child has been.  It only took me five times through to see that these little peeks into the future were probably there for each of them (and for me).  I just wasn't looking for them.

I think, in so many ways, DS 4's life has taught me to look at things that I hadn't seen before.  It has taught me to savor moments and to understand just how precious life is.  He's taught me to realize that my plans are so often not God's plans. He's also been a constant reminder not to rush things.  As he's wanted to be bigger and older since he was little.   For these lessons, I will be eternally grateful.

Today's been special.  We have had a standing "deal" with our kids for birthdays:  "You can have a party OR you can have $100 in cash."  Most often, they chose the $100.  I know this does not necessarily make me a nominee for Mother-of-the-Year...but that's another blog for another day.  He's often chosen a party.

This year, though, he was torn.  He mentioned wanting a new basketball hoop.  Yesterday, I brought him the giant box and he was surprised and EXCITED. And most important, thankful!

Today the surprises continued as DS 4 received the gift we've been holding back from him.  He's been playing a guitar for weeks at church that was donated for a mission thrift sale.  He's been asking for it...even swooning over it.  Last week, DH and I picked it up for him (and got them to throw in a small amp and case with it) for less than 1/10 of the price we found it for online.  DS 4 came out of church crushed when the person told him the guitar had been sold.  Several times this week he's said, "I can't believe they sold my guitar.  I wanted to buy it."

Today we presented him with it and he said, "Wait!  Am I DREAMING?"  He was thrilled.  No, he was beyond thrilled.

It was so worth it to see him enjoy something he's been wanting and waiting for.  Speaking of which, I hope he's going to enjoy these next few years because they too, have been something he's been wanting and waiting for, since he was a little boy.

Happy Birthday DS 4!  I love you!


No comments: