Last night, while wallowing in the emotions of another event, I found out that a high school acquaintance passed last week. We were Facebook "friends"...and really weren't great friends in school...but this was someone who always had a smile and a laugh for those around her. And, at 46, she was young!
Then a phone call came that DS 2 and his GF were in a fender bender. Some woman pulled into their path and they hit her. Thank God it was nothing more than a minor accident. He said it could have been much worse. Still, it's one of those moments that kind of stops you in your tracks.
Today he called to tell us that his GF's Grandpa had an accident on his farm in Georgia and that he was in the hospital unresponsive. They were trying to revive him, with no success. Then the call came to tell us that this man who we did not know had passed. At the writing of this blog, DS 2 is driving his GF to Georgia so she can be with her family at this time of great sorrow.
Honestly, I've had a few moments in the past 24 hours where I thought I'd like to just bury my head in the pillow and pretend the new year didn't arrive with some hurt and sadness. But it did.
Of course I know this is the general ebb and flow of life. And I know that no matter where I'm standing, mountain or valley, God is there! I love that. 2011 has come in oddly for me. I've been reflective.
I have some personal things with which I am wrestling...and I'm sad for two losses (along with a couple of others) in this season...but I am also resting in the promise that I find in Psalm 46: "1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."
And so as I go in to 2011, I commit to carry out verse 10 of the Psalmist's words: "...Be still, and know that I am God;" In fact, for the past several years I have known people who kind of ask God for a "word" or "words" for the new year.
In 2006, my SIL, Heather did this after a friend of hers did it. For that year "my word" was "promise". Again and again, He showed how he keeps His promises. Then, the next year, my heart was impressed with two little words: MOLD ME. In 2008, it was FORWARD as I was forced to look ahead and In 2009, it was "LAUGHTER". Last year, I didn't really blog specifically about it, but looking back now, I am certain that a little post I gave early in January was clearly my focus for last year: "To and Through." Again and again in the past twelve months I've been reminded that what we come "to", God brings us through.
And now, here I am feeling a bit reflective. A bit melancholy. Somewhat sad. And, yet, I am certain that "my word(s)" for this year are the simple phrase: "BE STILL AND KNOW." And that is exactly what I intend to do!
Happy New Year to All!!

1 comment:
Hmmm, I can relate so to this post, Susan.
The phrase "it came to pass" has taken on new meaning for me lately.
Everything 'comes to pass' - things change, often its exciting and great - sometimes its very painful.
Like you, I'm trying to process the warp and woof of life.
I am also learning a new respect for cliches!
Realising that these little sayings only became cliche'd because they are so true that people kept saying them :-)
"Taking the rough with the smooth" for example -
I tink thats what you and I are learning to do.
Not easy
But God always uses it all for good, as you know.
X
Post a Comment