We all have them. Some are large and others are smaller and more "foothill-like". Life mountains are those problems and situations that arise that seem huge and at times, insurmountable. This morning it occurred to me that as much as I LOVE the physical mountains, there are times I long for only a flat ground of faith upon which to walk. Then the question came to me, "How much faith does that take?" The truth is, the answer is a weak, "Not much!"
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20)
While it's nice to think that they all would just move out of the way with the exercise of a little faith, they don't always. Instead, step-by-step and inch-by-inch, we have to climb them. Conquer them!
I'm at the base of a mountain. I cannot see the climb, the peak, or the other side. But I am sure that there are blessings on it.
I am reminded of a conversation I had with my DS 3 when he was only 4 years old and preparing to go to Kindergarten. With tears in his eyes, he said he didn't want to go to Kindergarten. I asked why. His answer shocked me, "Because I might have to go to fifth grade!" What!?! Fifth grade??? What did THAT have to do with going to Kindergarten? He soon told me, "You have to get shots when you go to fifth grade!" He was looking at the entire mountain and figured if he never took the first step, he wouldn't have to take the 101st step.
We all do it. We all stare up at our life mountains at times and cry out to God, "I don't WANT to go!" But he gently nudges us to take the first step...and the next...and the next and the next. Because he's there the whole time.
Today I'm choosing to climb the mountain WITH faith! Here are the promises I am taking with me on my journey:
Nahum 1:7
The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.
2 Corinthians 4:8
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair.
Psalm 138:7
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me.
Isaiah 43:2
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
6 comments:
This is beautiful...and just what I needed to read today!
Thanks,
Suz
Lovely truths.
I so enjoyed your anecdote about your son. 5th Grade! LOL
I loved this post! Thank you for the encouragement it brings to me! And thank you for my award. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to it. We haven't had internet at home for a while so I have to get onlin on my phone or at the store. :(
If you want, I'll be happy to tweak your blog for you - no charge! :) Just let me know.
You go girl, There are still more mountains to cross girlfriend so keep your eyes focused and keep climbing. Very timely message, and spoke to my soul. Thanks.
And TAKE Lonestar with you too! MOUNTAINS! This song helped me -- when I was climbing some mountains...
YouTube Mountains
There are times in life when you gotta crawl,
Lose your grip, trip and fall
When you can't lean on no one else,
That's when you find yourself
I've been around and I've noticed that
Walk-in's easy when the road is flat
Them danged 'ole hills will get you every time.
Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb
That one, along with Matt Redman's You Never Let Go have seen me through most of my times of trouble! :) You're in my prayers babe... every day!
Wonderfully put. Now I have The Climb by Miley on stuck in my head. Or Lord don't move that mountain just give me strength to climb. It's through the storms of life that we grow stronger and closer to Him.
Post a Comment