More Info About Me

Monday, March 01, 2010

Did you?

I can remember reaching the end of some days in the regular classroom (after staring at 25 kids all day) when I would stop and ask, "Did you say something nice today?" It didn't happen often, but when it did, I'd just had a "cranky one" and I would find myself reflecting on how much of that I'd passed on to those children in my care. Sadly, sometimes my answer was "No, I don't remember many kind words." or "Hmmm...I'm not sure."

Lately I've been drained. Really drained. There are many reasons for this. It's the season of the year where life gets extremely busy for me. I coordinate our state testing at our school site, so it's time to crunch numbers, check and double check materials, and make sure all goes well with this exam. It's also the season where people start planning for the next school year...including job assignments. It looks like mine should stay the same again, but it's always a time of questioning anyway.

Beyond the job, our family has experienced much change in the past few months. LG brings us great joy, but it's still a change having another person around. Having DSs 1 an 2 move out has been a whole different kind of change. We're down to two drivers vs. the three that we had the entire time DS 2 was here at home.

Yesterday, we learned of the death of a person that DH and I went to school with years ago. She was our age (45), the wife of a fellow United Methodist Pastor, and mother to four children (teen - college). She had pneumonia and lost the fight very quickly. Terri was a positive person who loved the Lord. She always had a kind word or a smile for everyone. It's just plain sad.

Yesterday and today it's been on my mind. A lot. When I think about how drained I've been...the familiar question-- "Have you said kind words today?" has entered my mind followed closely by, "Have you laughed and smiled today?"

It's evident to me that these are the things that you leave behind when you go. It's when you've been kind and loving to others that you make an impact. And when you find the time to smile and find joy in life, it is contagious.

So....for you and for me:

Did you say kind words today?

Have you laughed and smiled?

It's time!



4 comments:

Melli said...

Thankfully, THIS day, I can answer yes to those questions. That is not always true, I am sure of it! And those are good questions to ask - maybe HALF WAY through the day - so you don't let the ENTIRE day go by without doing so! I should post them somewhere!

Carmen said...

Well, my day is just starting, but this is something I try to remember daily. To always leave people with a sense of sweetness or thoughtfulness after spending time with me. I enjoyed my visit today!

Merrie said...

Thanks for reminding me. Some days I feel like I don't pass the test too well. I LOVE having my grandchildren, but by Friday afternoon, I am no fun! In the middle of the night last night I felt the urging of the Holy Spirit to rest in Him and enjoy my blessings. This is, after all, what we sacrificed and moved across country to be able to do.

So sorry about your friend. I will be praying for the family.
Blessings~

Unknown said...

Thanks for this reminder. I am so sorry that this is a stressful time for you, and I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I will pray for you.