More Info About Me

Friday, October 16, 2009

Pink is in the Air!

If you've read this blog for any length of time, then you know that I feel 100% called to my job. I work in a school that has a very "needy" population. Among hunger and poverty, we also see kids and families that find themselves in foster care. All of our children absolutely tug at your heartstrings. It is a beautiful little learning community. Every once in a while, though, a child or family comes along that just holds a special spot in your heart.

One such family is a family of nine cousins that have been primarily raised by older relatives. They have quite a history. Let me also say that there is a HUGE network of extended family nearby as well. I have 13 cousins and I think it would be almost like having us all live in the same town and our children going through the same school.

Anyway, back to this family. I have worked with 6 of the 9 cousins over the years. In particular, I have worked with the oldest three in a sibling group of six. The oldest brother has a horrible illness and is in care for that. The middle brother is in the 6th grade and doing quite well. I taught him reading while he was in second grade. This is where my soft spot began to develop. Their younger sister, A, is 8yo and in the 2nd grade. Middle brother and A have tugged at my heartstrings since the day they arrived on our campus! I have always said if they needed a place to go, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

They are sweet, kind, loving children. Last year all the children were removed from the home for a time and farmed out to relatives. The only one who was not placed with relatives was the sister, A. She went to a foster home. This broke my heart! While they were dispersed, her brother called me on my phone (I had given him my number in case he ever needed anything) and said, "Just take care of A. I don't know where she is and I want to know she's OK." So so sweet! I did, in fact, watch out for her during that stint in foster care.

At that time, I thought I needed to look into what it would take to bring her to my home. DH and I were foster parents though in the 90's in another county, so I thought it would be too difficult to re-up our license so fast. I did nothing about it and she eventually was returned to her relatives along with her cousins and siblings.

Circumstances this week led them to be removed from their home once again. I cannot go into the entire situation here, but suffice it to say it's not good. Although she's with extended family, they are looking for a place for A to go.

While relaying this story to me, and knowing my connection to the family, the counselor at my school talked to me yesterday afternoon and asked if my foster care license was still good. It is not. It has lapsed---really lapsed. Our last foster child lived with us in 1993 in another city--before DS 3 was even born!

Still, I went home that night and talked with DH. It wasn't quite what he was expecting---but he was willing to see what the possibilities are. We talked to the boys in a family meeting after that. There wasn't one person in my house who wasn't willing to make A a part of our family!

I have to tell you my boys' reaction was so sweet. When we called him at school, DS 1 said, "Mom paint my room pink. She can have it. She needs a family and ours is a great one to go to." DS 3 said, "She might get scared at night. I'll move to DS 1's room so she can be closer to your room in case she needs you at night." I might add that DS 1's room is smaller than his room. DS 2 said, "I am just sad that I won't be here for all of her growing up years." DS 4 said, "Wow! I wonder if she's a 'girlie girl'?" followed by "I could help her with her homework!"

I have to also add that they ALL noted that it was quite a "sneaky way" for me to get a pink room! I love my boys so much!

We agreed to see what the possibilities are by calling the agency the very next day. I prayed that night that if this is what God wants for our family and for A, that it will happen. It will be nothing short of a miracle if it is able to all fall into place. I mean this is government. There is paperwork. There are hoops to jump through. If it happens, the placement could be a day, a week, a month, or a lifetime. We have no way of knowing that at this point. We understand the system and will have to work within it.

The next morning, I talked to our school counselor who talked with the case worker. She asked me to call her. I couldn't believe how FAST the entire thing sped up! It turns out that we can take her on a "non-relative emergency placement" with a few steps: fingerprints and a home study.

While on the phone with the caseworker, she gave me more history than I knew before. My heart broke even MORE for these kids. She even asked me if we'd be interested in adopting A--if it ever came to it!

DH came to my school that afternoon to at least intersect with her since he may not be here when she is placed with us. She walked with us and talked to us for quite a while. Wednesday we were fingerprinted.

Wednesday night, the boys and my FIL helped move all the furniture in the bedrooms to make it ready for her to come to our home. This included completely taking beds apart to get them out of one room and into another. Teachers at my school who know started bringing me "girl stuff". Yesterday, we had our home study. It seems that it will all happen early next week!

I'm amazed...simply amazed!!! The mountains have just moved this week in such big ways. I believe that is a beautiful picture of what we are supposed to do as Christians...reach out. So, I'm asking you, if you are a "pray-er", to continue to pray for our family. Pray for A. Pray for her family.

We are trusting that we can be her "for-now family". If it comes to the place where she is available for adoption, then we will seek to become her forever family. We can't see down the road at this time. We only see this step. And we are excited to make it together!

20 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Amazing Susan!!

I'm praying!

Catherine said...

Oh, Susan -- what a grand calling and an amazing story! I will keep all of you in prayer.

Hugs,
Catherine

Baba said...

Good afternoon Susan, you and your husband and sons are going to make a perfect home for this little girl..I am thrilled for all of you!!
You finally get to have your pink room and plenty of girl stuff around your home..your holidays are going to be a blessing with her in your life... my hugs to all, Baba

Mary Jo said...

Oh Susan! That is so incredibly awesome! Praise God! I'm so happy for you and your sweet family. We'll be praying for you and for A during this transition. What a wonderful opportunity.

(btw - when I saw the title of your post in my bloglines, I thought, OMG! She's pregnant! hahaha)

Much love and prayers, my friend.
Mary

Melli said...

*clap clap clap clap clap*! Do you HEAR me CLAPPING??? I'm clapping LOUD! This is sooooooo awesome! I'm so HAPPY for "A" - and sO happy for YOU! You've always needed a little girl! Yes you have! God gave Luz to Amanda, and now he's giving "A" to you! EVERYBODY is BLESSED! Thank you Jesus! Thank you Jesus...

Anonymous said...

Dad & I are really excited for you..and to have another little girl to spoil! Not that we don't love and spoil the boys...but the girls are nice to have around too. Can't wait to meet A and give her a big hug! You guys are soooo special and we love you for being YOU! Dad & C

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just amazing. And your son brought tears to my eyes talking about what a great family you have - an amazing testimony to you & your DH as parents. You are all in my prayers.

Edie said...

Oh my goodness Susan I'm in tears. Tears for what this little girl has endured and tears for the way God is working to rescue her. You and your family are so wonderful! What fine young men you are raising too. Each of them coming to the rescue of a damsel in distress. That's what God made boys (men) to do. Tell then all that I am very proud of them, and you too.

Looking forward to pictures!

Much love!

Edie said...

Oh, yes I will be praying!

Jane said...

This is SO awesome! I can't wait until you can post of picture of your little princess. She is a blessed little girl and I thank God for your willingness to open your home and your heart to this precious child.

allie. said...

This is lovely - the way God knit your heart to these children seems a preparation for just this.

And now you and your wonderful menfolk will have a little girl to enjoy and she will know what it is to belong in a stable Christ-centred home.

Bless you all for your wide open hearts - may you find much joy in each other!

Anonymous said...

Will be praying for you as your family adapts to this transition, Blessings!
Marilyn

Ladybug Crossing said...

How exciting!!!
Prayers are coming your way.
xoxo
LBC

Unknown said...

What a passion you have for your job. Im so glad I am back to reading your blog too!

samurai said...

Susan - i read about how all of this was transpiring on Friday, but i am just getting around to commenting today.

I think this is incredibly awesome! \o/ Praise God, and may He use you and your family mighty in this young woman's life.

kt said...

O goodness! this just gives me chills!!! Praise the Lord & bless you for being so open to the twists & turns Gos places before you in life!!! :-D :-D

kreed said...

I am so excited for all of you, but especially for this little girl who is getting such a wonderful family. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I just read this after reading your FB entry. Hooray for pink! I'm so very happy for you, Susan, and for A who truly is blessed to be a part of your amazing family. I always knew your boys were extra special and their reactions and responses bring tears to my eyes. I hope that A transitions smoothly into your home and family. God is good!

Merrie said...

WOW!!!! Susan, I have been remiss in reading your blog! I have been seeing your facebook comments and not fully understanding what was going on. Now I understand. I'm so happy for you and for her!
Blessings!

Susan said...

Missed this until today!!!!!

When it is God and God's timing He does move mountains.

This is so wonderful, Susan. Your entire family is Christ's hands extended. How blessed this girl is going to be.
Susan