The email read something like this: “The boys’ Dad took them to see their Mom in another city about three hours away this past Friday. He told the Mom he’d return for them on Sunday. He didn’t come. On Monday he still didn’t come. By Tuesday, he called and told her he wasn’t coming. She’d have to figure out what to do with them.” Abandoned, in a way. Just. Like. That.
******
He entered our school yesterday; a Kindergarten student who was quite reluctant to be here. There was concern among the staff because he’s living with his “cousin” who is also in one of our K classes. The cousin is rather unstable and a bit whiny. This new boy arrived and the struggle began.
He kicked. He flailed. He cried. He screamed. He broke things. He made it quite clear he did not want to be here. He made it less than an hour and was sent home because he simply disrupted the entire campus.
All I can think is, “He’s FIVE!” Later I learned that his Mom’s in jail. Dad is living with a Stepmother and he, too, has “issues”.
*****
She came to me a few days ago with huge crocodile tears in her eyes. She was visibly shaken and angry. When I asked what was wrong--words flew out of her mouth. It was a “he said/she said” school bus story-knot that I could barely follow.
It turned out there had been a referral for her behavior the day before. She was to take it home and have it signed. Instead, she tore it to shreds. One adult at the school put the shreds into an envelope and explained that she WOULD take it home and show her Mother.
She was scared. Except it wasn’t the normal kind of scared. It was true FEAR. Besides, it was her Mother who told her, “If someone hits you, you stand up and hit ‘em back!” It’s a survival skill she’ll need for her neighborhood and probably for the rest of her life.
I wonder just how you draw that line when they have to learn to survive in a world that I have only briefly glimpsed. It’s a fine line, for sure.
*****
Her Mother dropped her off yesterday in the wrong uniform. It’s not the first time. It won’t be the last. She is dirty and unkempt. Her long blonde hair appears to have been un-brushed for days.
Her teacher saw her in the hallway and asked where she was going. The girl replied, “I have to go get a uniform shirt.” The teacher said, “Where are your shirts? Don’t you have five?” The girl sheepishly responded, “Yeah, I have them, but some are at my Grandma’s and none are clean at my house.”
As the girl headed toward the uniform loan closet, the teacher shook her head and said, “One of our suitcase kids.” She never knows where she’ll be staying from night to night.
*****
He comes to school with his two brothers. They are 10, 7, and 6. There are four MORE brothers (4 and under) at home. Seven boys! They live in a two room hotel room where Dad does caretaking for the manager. The boys sleep on army cots that can be easily folded and stored during the day. They have been given many things by people at the school and in the community. Still, they struggle.
The oldest boy (remember he’s 10) sometimes misses school because it’s his day to “babysit. his siblings.” Babysit? Four young children? That’s right. Babysit.
The three school-aged children are part of a program where they take food home every Friday. A HUGE bag of food! Yet, they have told adults at the school that each family member has to rotate a night going without food so that there is enough to stretch out for the week. When it’s “your night’ not to eat…you are famished by the time you get to school the next day.
****
These vignettes are not "race specific". In fact, of the families discussed above, there are four different ethnicities represented. I could go on and on with these stories. They are part of my everyday life. And these are just a few of which I am aware. They break my heart. Here’s the thing that just rolls over and over in my head, though.
It’s “normal” for them. They don’t know any different type of life.
I can tell you that one thing I have learned in my time working with this population: just because I have a “different” normal, doesn’t make mine more right and theirs wrong. Initially, while working in the inner city of Tampa (which was MUCH rougher than where I am now), I learned that I wasn’t there to “save kids”. I wasn’t there to “rescue them” from their environment, their dysfunctional families, their upbringing. I was there to show them how to be the best young man or woman they could be. I was there to give them educational skills and strategies that would help them.
Some will leave it. No doubt. Some will not. Helping them means giving them tools for survival and hope for their future no matter where that happens to be.
For me, it is my calling. It is what I was designed to do. Every day I am thankful that I have the chance to hug a child that may not have been hugged that day. I have the opportunity to speak positive words into their lives. I have a chance to show them unconditional love. I get to smile with them, laugh with them, and talk with them. I am able to wipe away tears. I get to assure them when they're mad that I still care for them. I get to teach them. I am blessed to work in a place with so many adults who share that calling. It's quite special to me.
For me, there's nothing more normal than that!
18 comments:
Susan, these stories break my heart. There are far more of these families than ANY of us want to admit. The children are suffering and will carry their hurt into adulthood. The cycle HAS to be broken. The task seems overwhelming. I guess the best way to change it is one child at a time.
God bless you as you minister to these children. God has placed you in this place to be the voice of love, encouragement, caring, kindness and peace. Thank you for what you do.
:( Wow. How incredibly "real" and "thought provoking"
Thanks for sharing, Susan, because as difficult as it is to read, you have to face it in person, and it helps us understand the world kids are living in.
These stories break my heart. And I think the reason that I am NOT involved with them is BECAUSE I can't NOT rescue them. Rescuing is what I want to do... I thank God everyday that I was able to get Amanda & I OUT of those situations. He SO blessed be and lifted me right over all those hurdles! Why me? Why MY Amanda? And why not others? It just breaks my heart...
YOU are an angel Susan. God has given you a wee little earthly halo and shown you how to let it's glow shine on his neediest kids. He uses you so well!
Wow, Susan! No words seem appropriate...God knows, eh? I'm so glad He's placed you there!
Oh Susan...tears are welling up in my eyes now. Such heartbreak in our world, makes more more eager to share my Hope.
Susan---this is my first time here...but I can say---won't be the last! I LOVED this piece.
I worked in a high school in NW Florida for about 8 years...loved it...but during an extemely stressful time in my NORMAL...I resigned to stay home for a while.
Later, joining the work force in a lawfirm in SE Alabama---I find a new normal. BUT their normal is not my normal.
This post reminded me over and over---that what I thought---when my first grandson was diagnosed with an autistic specturm disorder and mild cerebral palsy---and then the next two with congenital heart defects...I had a new normal.
Learning that your normal is always changing put some strains on my life---as it does everyone...but learning to lean on GOD---well---that is something that I wouldn't trade any kind of normal for!
I was TRULY blessed here!
blessings for you!
good job!!
30x5 :)
They are all blessed to have YOU and the other teachers who care for them even for such a short time. I can't imagine knowing all their stories and not being able to save them...it does break your heart. Thanks for being YOU! LY..C
You're coming to DC??? When? Heck yea!!!
Thank you for sharing these stories. It is important for us to be exposed to "the real world" and I thank you for that. I also that God you, and others, have this calling.
Susan
Hi Susan, you were called by God to be available to care and help his children, just as I was chosen to take care of his little ones..Our lives have been enriched greatly..thanks for sharing with us.
Love ya, Baba
This was such a great post. Reading all of the different normals out there provides such a great opportunity to reflect on (and be thankful for) my own normal. How many times do I complain about trivial things when I already have SO much to be grateful for in my norm?
I'm going to link back to this post in a post right now. :)
how sad...and how blessed i am to have two lovings parents still married, and a husband who is blessed with the same.
Such a sad story. I love your blog and am so glad that I found it.
Hope you will stop by my blog for a visit.
I am new to blogging and I am loving all my new friends.
I am giving away my first EVER BLOG PRIZE.
I have a gift basket business and it is the most requested gift over the last 15 years.
From the comments I have already received, it appears to be something a little different and something anyone could use.
I have been so touched by the comments that I have decided to give 2 boxes . They will be the $100 deluxe size.
I really do want to bless people!!!
I have decided that giving is life at its BEST. The drawing will be Saturday!
Hi Susan,
My name is Pearl and I found your blog through another's. She mentioned your post and I was interested, so here I am.
I am so glad to have found this entry. It broke and touched my heart.
I don't think I could ever be a teacher; I'm simply not strong enough. I would want to be the one who take them home and "rescue" them, as illogical and unrealistic as that sounds.
Is there anything that I can do for the families you described?
I hope to add you to my blogroll, also. Thank you :)
no words.
But I *understand*.
Thanks for sharing. I see so many similar situations at Madison's school...and even some situations in her class that just really bother me through my soul. I've had feelings of guilt that I can't just adopt all these kids and bring them in to my house. Which is why I'm such a huge support of Big Brother/ Big Sister. And other organizations out there that reach out to kids. We have to stop and realize that they are our future. We can't help what family we are born into and for that it hurts. I'm blessed to have my family and know that my girls have this family but for the friends that don't, it saddens me. I think anyone who can be there for a kid who needs it is a hero. We have no idea how important that unconditional love is for a child. Keep up the great work Susan!
Post a Comment